Katy

Crying too hard to see I stumbled out the front door and down the cement front steps.

“Katy!” Luke’s voice rang out from behind me.

Not wanting him to see me cry I continued forward, ignoring him calling out behind me.

“Katy please stop.” He pleaded.

Walking down the driveway I passed Michael’s car and continued towards the street. I would walk home.

“Katy come on, you can’t walk.” He sighed, “It’s too far and it’s dark?”

“Why? Because I’m too fat?” I demanded, stopping.

“What? No.” he said quickly, reaching  and turning me around so I was facing him, “Because you’re a girl and as a guy I’m morally obligated to make sure you get home in one piece. It’s in the job description.”

Looking down at the ground I reached up and wiped my eyes on my sleeves.

“Hey.” Luke said gently, “Are you crying? Don’t cry.”

Sniffling I chanced a glance upwards and found him looking down at me with the kind of genuine concern I thought only existed in movies.

“What happened in there.” He said shoving his hands into his pockets, “That was shitty….Like really shitty.”

“I shouldn’t have come.” I whispered.

“Don’t say that.” He sighed, “You have just as much right to be here as anyone else.”

“No I don’t.” I laughed humorlessly, “I know that, but I don’t know why. Why is it so wrong to be fat? Why does it automatically make me less than everyone else?”

“It doesn’t.” he said firmly.

“It does.” I replied.

Luke frowned, “It shouldn’t.”

Slowly looking up at Luke I allowed my crap colored eyes to lock with his brilliantly blue ones, dripping with sincerity.

“I had fun with you in there.” He said gently.

“Before they ruined it.” I mumbled.

“Who cares.” He replied with a shrug, “We had a good time, that’s all that matters.”

I nodded.

“There you guys are.” A voice rang out suddenly.

Glancing over Luke’s broad shoulders, I watched as Michael and Calum jogged down the front steps and over to us.

“I was just about to come in and round you guys up.” Luke replied, “We’re ready to go.”

“Me too.” Michael laughed, “Although, Calum might not be.”

“What do you mean?” Luke asked.

“Nothing.” Calum muttered.

“Someone was getting awfully close to Sierra on the back deck.” Michael taunted in a knowing voice.

“Shut up.” Calum snapped, blushing furiously.

“You like Sierra?” I questioned, my heart sinking for reasons I didn’t understand.

I didn’t like Calum and he certainly didn’t like me, nor would he ever.

“No.” Calum said quickly, “I don’t.”

“Then why is her lipstick on your neck?” Luke laughed.

My heart twisting in my chest I let my eyes wander to Calum’s neck where a lip shaped red smudge sat just below his jaw.