Calum

Katy's mom had hugged her. Sierra's weeping mother and furious father had more or less smothered her in affection, even Gracie's parents, talking to their daughter through the doors had seemed happier to see their daughter then my Dad was.

Purse lipped he'd placed a cold, claw like hand on my shoulder.

"Let's go Calum." He'd muttered.

The ride to the airport was silent, as was our flight, and so was the tense ride from the airport, home.

Anna, in true Anna fashion, had been waiting at the front door, throwing her arms around my neck as soon as I'd stepped through the threshold, mumbling into my shoulder that I'd worried her, and she'd missed me, and not to do it again.

She then asked what happened, I told her, and then Dad was muttering that we needed to go to bed.

Eager to depart from his dark, looming presence and escape the blanket of negativity which stayed with him, coating anything and everyone he came close to like a fog, I ascended the stairs to my room, which I'd missed. I was asleep in a matter of seconds.

I don't know how long I was out for but I was awoken what felt like just a few moments later. I could feel sunlight pouring through my bedroom window, warming the back of my head, and I could feel someone sitting on the edge of the bed beside me, watching me, their eyes making the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

I felt the bed dip, and a shadow block the sun before I felt a pair of lips press lightly to the top of my head. Confused I waited for whoever it was to rise and start out of the room before daring to sneak a peek.

Cracking one eye open I watched as my Dad shuffled out of the room.

Surprised, I sat up.

"Dad?" I asked.

Stopping in the doorway, he turned around to face me, "What Cal? I have to get to work?"

"Nothing." I mumbled.

Nodding, he ran his fingertips through his graying hair, "I called the school you're taking the day off."

It was my turn to nod.

"Bye." He muttered.

"Hey Dad." I called out as he started back out of the room.

"Yeah?" he demanded, in a tone that clearly said I was wasting his time.

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

Sighing, he nodded, "I'll see you tonight Calum."

"And Dad." I called out again.

"What Calum?" he asked, seeming annoyed.

Hesitating, I looked down at my hands which were clasped in my lap, then back across the room at him, "I love you."

Seeming taken aback, he blinked several times, before adjusting his tie, "Goodbye Calum."