Calum

“He looks horrible.”

“Have you seen Calum?”

“He looks awful.”

“I heard he got locked up.”

“For what?”

“Apparently he’s nuts.”

“He doesn’t eat, that’s what I heard.”

“He looks dead.”

Biting my lower lip I slammed my locker shut. Running my fingertips through my hair I started towards my first glass of the day however before I could get very far Bethany popped up infront of me seemingly out of nowhere.

“Calum!” she greeted, “You’re back.”

“Uh, yeah.” I muttered forcing a smile.

“What happened?” she questioned, attracting the attention of everyone in the narrow hallway.

“I uh….I was sick.” I mumbled.

“With what?”

My heart racing wildly in my chest I looked down at Bethany nervously, wanting nothing more than to push her on her backside.

“I was sick.” I repeated, “Now if you’ll excuse m….”

“Everyone is saying you have an eating disorder,” she laughed cutting me off, “Isn’t that the most stupid thing you’ve ever heard?”

“Can you move?” I questioned.

“Is it true?” she pressed, “Do you binge and barf?”

Several people around us laughed. Feeling sick, I could feel my cheeks and the tips of my ears burning red.

“That’s really gross Calum.” Bethany laughed, “Isn’t Bulimia what tweens who want to look like Taylor Swift do?”

“Can you stop?” a voice behind me demanded, suddenly.

Startled, I whirled around, breathing a sigh of relief at the sight of Luke behind me.

“What?” Bethany giggled.

“You heard me.” Luke spat, “Go stuff your bra or something.”

Looking appalled Bethany gasped. Rolling his eyes, Luke grabbed me by the arm and pulled me along behind him down the hallway and around the corner.

“You okay?” he questioned, releasing me and shoving his hands in his pockets.

“Yeah.” I mumbled, “Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it.” He replied lightly, “Bethany is an idiot, don’t pay any attention to her.”

Nodding, I forced a smile, “I’ll see you around Luke.”

“Wait!” Luke cried, before I could walk away, “Are you okay Calum? Like, really okay?”

“I’m fine.” I answered.

“You can talk to me you know.” Luke mumbled, lowering his voice as a girl passed, “I-I don’t want that to happen again I-I thought you….I was scared. I thought you died.”

Wincing, I adjusted my backpack on my shoulder.

“I know I don’t say it because like, we’re guys but you’re my best friend Cal and I… I care. You know that right?”

Flattered and a little floored I opened my mouth, then closed it, then opened it again, hesitating before speaking, “Thank you Luke.”

Nodding, Luke shoved his hands in his pockets, then pulling them out again, lunged at me alarmingly and pulled me into a hug.

“Don’t do that again Cal.” He mumbled pulling away, a blush staining his cheeks.

Nodding, I cocked my head to the side as the bell rang.

“Well,” Luke chuckled, “I should get to class. See you around Cal.”

And then he was gone, disappearing into the crowd, however I didn’t feel alone, instead I felt strangely connected to him. It was nice knowing someone cared, that someone considered me a friend. Smiling, I bowed my head and made my way to class.