Calum

Staring down at the lopsided slice of chocolate cake on the flimsy, pink paper plate on my lap I sighed. Feeling Dave, who was sat next to me, rise to his feet undoubtedly in search of a third piece of cake, or perhaps it was his fifth, I glanced across the room to where Katy was sat, licking frosting off her plastic fork. The only thing at the hoopla that wasn’t pink, the frosting had stained her, and everyone else’s lips a faint purple color, making them all look like they’d been plucked from the ruins of a shipwreck.

“This is good cake.” Dave said plopping down next to me.

“I made it!” Annie said proudly from her perch on the edge of the fireplace beside Katy.

“It’s delicious!” Gracie praised, reaching a fingertip into her mouth and removing an eggshell from her cheek.

In the corner a CD player played songs meant for preschoolers loudly. That was the thing about Michael’s Mom, she didn’t get it. She didn’t try to treat Annie like a baby, I don’t think it was a conscious decision, however she didn’t try to treat her like a twenty year old either.

The baby doll she’d gotten her, wrapped in Sesame Street wrapping paper came from a place, but also a place of ignorance.

Annie had been polite when opening the gift, but it was the poster of her favorite girl band which I’d gotten her and the concert tickets from Michael at which she’d lost it, jumping up and down and hugging us repeatedly.

I could tell Mrs Clifford didn’t approve but she didn’t dwell on it, there were piñatas to smash, musical chairs to play, and awkward pictures to take.

Looking down at my cake, I scraped away the frosting with the back of my fork.  Hesitating for a moment I raised the utensil towards my mouth slowly.

“Are you going to eat that?”

Surprised, I lowered my fork and turned to Dave who was eyeing my plate like it might grow a pair of legs and run away.

“I don’t know.” I said slowly.

“I ate my cake.” He laughed, the evidence circling his mouth in the form of frosting, “It was good. Really good. You are a good cooker Annie.”

Beaming, Annie dropped a glob of purple frosting on the white carpet.

“Uh-oh!” Mrs Clifford laughed loudly, as if she were addressing a smile child and not a young adult, “Somebody had an oopsie.”

“I told you white carpet was a bad idea.” Michael muttered.

Shooting him a look, his Mom got down on her hands and knees with some napkins and a bottle of stain remover she seemingly pulled out of nowhere.

“You don’t appear to be eating your cake.” Dave said next to me, seeming impressed with his own vocabulary.

Sighing, I held it out to him.

“Are you sure?” he questioned.

“Yeah.” I mumbled forcing a smile, “Go ahead.”

Patting my leg awkwardly, Dave went to town on the desert like it was his duty, practically licking the plate clean.

“This sure is a stubborn stain!” Mrs. Clifford laughed.

“Try dish soap.” Katy suggested, surprisingly me seeing as she’d been more or less silent the eternity of the party.

“Dish soap?” Mrs. Clifford said slowly.

“It works on Kool Aide.” Katy mumbled awkwardly, “Just pour dish soap and water on the stain, then cover it with a towel and iron it.”

“Harvey!” Mrs. Clifford called out, “Bring me the dish soap!”

Practically running into the room, eager to please his wife, Mr. Clifford handed her a bottle of dish soap. Quiet depressingly it was the highlight of the party, when the carpet came clean.

“Thank you Katherine.” Mrs. Clifford said turning to Katy, “Where did you learn that?”

“It’s um…Katelyn.” Katy replied awkwardly, “And my Mom used to be a cleaning lady.”

“Oh.” Mrs. Clifford said slowly as if the thought of working made her physically sick, “A cleaning lady?”

“She was.” Katy said quickly, her cheeks burning red with embarrassment.

“What does she do now?”

“She’s um…she’s on disability.” Katy whispered awkwardly.

“Oh you poor thing!” Mrs. Clifford cried, “Does your father work?”

Looking to be panicking internally Katy looked across the room to me pleadingly.

“Mom.” Michael said, clearly catching her helpless glance, “Who cares?”

“Michael.” His Dad chided, “Don’t be rude to your mother.”

“I should get going.” Katy mumbled, rising to her feet.

“So soon?” Mrs. Clifford questioned.

“I should get going too.” I spoke up, glancing over at Gracie, who sprung to her feet.

“You’re leaving?” Annie asked sadly, “Is the party over?”

“Hey Annie.” Michael said feigning enthusiasm, “After they leave how about I help you hang the poster Cal got you?”

“Okay!” Annie breathed, all disappointment forgotten.

After hugging her goodbye, then being told repeatedly to tell my Dad to call Mr. Clifford to set up a golfing get together, making it out to the porch only to be ushered back inside and given a cheap  gift bag Gracie and I finally made it out to my car.

I’d hoped to catch up with Katy, however it was too late, she was already gone.