Katy

It was during the early hours of the next morning that we finally arrived in California. The air was hot there, a sharp contrast from the frost covered lawn I'd left behind at home.

The air was sweltering and dry, making every breath a chore as I followed Ashton into the small hotel where he said we'd be staying the next two nights until we left for Hawaii.

Unlike every other place we'd stopped previously, the room we would be sharing had two beds.

Lying Sam down on one I sat down beside him and wearily watched as Ashton flopped back into the other.

Frowning I watched his eyes flutter closed before letting my gaze wander to his bulging biceps tucked beneath his head, then down to his large feet, my stomach turning at the Crimson droplets of dried blood which dotted the leather of his boots.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer." He said at random, startling me.

Feeling my cheeks burn I returned my gaze to his face and frowned in confusion finding his eyes loosely shut.

"I can feel you." He elaborated, "Watching me."

"Sorry." I mumbled, looking down at the floor.

Cracking his eyes open, Ashton rose from the bed and crossing over to where I sat, sat beside me.

"What?" I questioned self consciously, edging away from him.

Smiling to himself he reached out to tuck my hair behind me eat, however when I flinched back, he ran his fingertips through his own instead.

"You remind me of Dort." He said so quietly I almost missed it.

"What?" I whispered.

"You're like her mini me." He informed me, "Same hair, same smile, similar laugh, identical little attitude."

"I'm nothing like Dorothy." I informed him.

"Oh you are." He chuckled, "You've got me feeling things I shouldn't. You've got me fallen for you, wrapped around your stupid little finger."

Nervously I swallowed as he continued, "You're going to leave just like her."

"I'm nothing like Dorothy." I repeated.

"She was stubborn to."

"Why are you talking about her like she's dead?

"Might as well be."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"She's all grown up now." He elaborated, "She has a husband, kids she wants. A nice apartment."

"You're grown up." I informed him.

"I believe that's a choice."

"You're choosing wrong."

"I don't know what's right and wrong anymore." He said slowly.

"Going to Hawaii is wrong."

Glancing over at me, looking like wanted to sit on my lap and cry on my shoulder he shook his head, "We're not going to Hawaii."

Relief, confusion and disbelief rushing through my like white water rapids I opened my mouth however when no coherent sound came out, closed it again.

"We were never going to Hawaii." He whispered.

"What do you mean?" I questioned slowly.

"I wanted to make you happy." He laughed somewhat insanely, "I thought, who the hell doesn't want to go to Hawaii?"

"Where are we going then?" I demanded.

"Home." He answered simply before rising to his feet and starting towards the door.

"What do you mean?" I questioned, "Where are you going?"

"I'll be back." He replied, smiling at me reassuringly before picking up a small, silver ice bucket, "You try and get some sleep before tonight."

"What's happening tonight?" I demanded.

"We're going home."

"What was the pint of driving out here then?"

Wordlessly, Ashton slipped out of the room, lightly closing the door behind him. My mind and heart racing I lay down on the bed and closed my eyes, ready to return to my town, safety and Calum.