Hunting: Chapter 30

We both get up a few minutes later. We jump out of the window landing on the concrete below us. "Thats a first to do it with someone else." I say. "Same here." He says as we head towards his gate. We run towards my house, the woods start behind it. We walk over branches and past trees. The night moon glows on our skin and the water in the river. We see no animals, but we know they're here.

We can smell them.

"So, how many people have you killed?" He asks me. I dont really know. "I lost track. I don't do it that often." I say. I wonder if he thinks I'm a bad person... what if he changes his idea of me? "Hm. I killed 54 people." He says casually. "I'm impressed. When did you start?" I say as we walk over more branches. "When I was 6." He said. "Do you ever drink blood bags?" I ask. "What do you think I hide behind the books in my bookshelf?" He says smiling. He is amazing.

We crouch down as we see a deer ahead of us. I try to lunge towards it but Chris stops me with his arm. "Wait." He says. What strategies does he use? 

The deer falls down with a loud pierce. "What happened?" I ask in shock. "It was shot. There's a hunter here." He says. We both plan on waiting for the hunter to show without talking about it. Leaves crunch out in the distance. The person who killed this deer is approaching it. I do not care who you are, but I will never let someone else kill another animal. He must die. He must.

He hunter walks towards the deer. I cant hold it back. Chris sees me get up and head away from the tree that was covering me. "What a-" His voice fades away. The adrenaline rushes through me. But I stop. I must question him. "What do you think you are doing?" I ask with a tone I don't recognize in my voice. The hunter is a monster. His dark skin shines under the moon light, and his plaid shirt appears blurry. "Hunting. What are you doing little girl?" He asks me. "I'm not a little girl." I say. "Oh. I can see, you look nice." He says with a smirk. He disgusts me. My fists ball up as I slowly walk towards him. I can tell his thoughts changes about me. He points the gun towards me. If he shoots me in the head, I will die..

If he shoots me in the heart, I will experience violent pain.

I cant stop walking towards him. "Why point the gun at me?" I say. "You seem crazy. I like it." He says. "Leave me alone." I say. My strength disappears. I feel weak. Angry. Upset. He grabs me by my hair and holds the gun to my head. 

Chris runs towards the hunter. The hunter drops his gun as Chris rips his throat out. I'm shocked, and glad that he saved me. I don't know what happened to me, I just paused. Overwhelmed by how humans can do such terrible things. The hunter is still alive, but not for long. "Nobody ever touches her. Ever." Chris says in anger. His veins pop around his eyes as he breaks the hunters neck. His lifeless body falls to the ground next to the deer. The deer is still breathing, slightly. I kneel towards it.

"Its gonna be okay." I say, and twists its neck. I get up to Chris and hug him. "I'm sorry. I don't know what happened." I say panting. He grabs my head so I face him. "Its okay. You were just over whelmed. Its okay, Ave." He says kissing me on my forehead. "I kinda feel bad now." I say looking at the ground. "Ha ha, he deserved it. I never killed an innocent." He says.

I nod my head smiling, Wishing I could say the same.