Nine

Oh shit, I can't tell him about Dante

And I'm being smart about that, he'd kill me if he had to.

But he's on the wrong side of the law and as far as I know, lying to the police is a criminal offence.

"I don't know who that is, you must have the wrong person." I chuckle nervously and the police officer joins in but then is quick to stop.

"I've seen your records and you're a good person, Khristina. But you're also tight on money, so I'd understand why you'd be running to a man like Dante. But he's not the person you run to if you need money, he's dangerous and is on forbidden land."

My eyes widened as I tried to stop my leg from bouncing up and down.

Truth is, I've never been held up by an officer.

Not for anything.

But of course, Dante had to be the first to make that happen, as well as the first person to aim a gun at my head.

"He's robbed banks, he's trafficked innocent children and families, he sells drugs that shouldn't even be on this earth and with you, Khristina, we're looking at a life sentence for association with a man who's been wanted since he was sixteen."

"I..."

He sat up again, sliding a card to me. "Come to my office by tomorrow and tell me everything you know and I promise to leave you out of whatever you have planned for Dante." He stood, placing a couple of rubles on the bar and walked towards the door.

He turned one more time, his hand in his pockets. "Make the right choice, Ivanov." He walked out of the door and got into the police car parked outside the bar.

Fuck.

I obviously have a choice to make, to either choose the side of the law or the bad side. The evil side, the side that Dante had selfishly sucked me in.

I could turn him in right now, tell them about how he had held me at gunpoint, stalked me, ruined my house and they would toss him in jail for sure.

But his words keep ringing in my head.

'When I do 'die' I'll make sure to drag you down to hell with me.'

Dante will find me and he'll make sure I couldn't possibly say anything to them.

I let out a heavied sigh, picking the card in my hands and going into the staffroom where the landline stayed.

Please forgive me for this.

~

I packed the remains of what I had in my closet, often checking outside the window. I zipped it up, pulling it off of the couch as I left it by the door.

Yes.

I told Dante but he didn't panic, for some reason it was as if he'd been expecting it.

A couple of hours earlier...