Thirty-Eight

I felt my eyes slowly peel open only to be met with darkness

Am I dead?

I tried to move my hands but they were restricted behind me and from the coldness that was hitting my body, I knew that I had been stripped of my warm clothing.

Memories started to cloud my mind as I remembered Oleza surrounding me with his men and then painfully kicked me to the floor. And then the images of Dante came in. Oleza had shot him, and he could be dead right now.

With panic, I squinted my eyes trying to look around the room even though I was surrounded by darkness.

"Dante!?" I shouted, my voice echoing into the darkness, waiting for a response...until I heard a grunt from right in front of me.

"Mi amore..." His breathing was swallowed as I felt a breath that I never knew I had been holding be let out. He's alive. Thank fucking god.

"Where are we?" I asked, focusing in front of me even though I could really only see his figure, I still felt safe. Even if I had been stripped of my dignity, I was still breathing and Dante is here. Also breathing.

"Sto soffrendo..." He mumbled, as his breathing became raspier. It sounded like he was almost about to fall asleep, and that was something that cannot be a good sign.

"Dante," I whispered, wanting to just break my arms out of this and take his head in mine, "you need to stay awake, please..."

A groan left his mouth, a cough following after and if I'm right, he was spitting something out. Probably blood.

Shit.

"Voglio che il dolore si...fermi..." His words were becoming quieter and quieter as I felt the panic in me begin to rise. I didn't understand a word of what he was saying but I needed him to stay awake, I can't afford to lose him, not now.

"Don't sleep Dante, I know it's tempting but don't do it, don't you dare close your eyes." He hummed in response as I tried to fight back the tears, I needed to be strong...for the both of us.

"I can't live without you..." I whispered, closing my eyes as I tried to tug my hands away from the ties but this time they hadn't failed to make me bound to this chair, "How do you say that in Italian?" I questioned, trying to find a way to keep him awake.

"Non posso... vivere senza di te..." He responded.

He's still awake.

"Non posso vivere senza di te, I need you Dante, and that means you can't die on me," My voice broke as I felt a tear stream down my face, "You are not allowed to, do you hear me?"

"Okay." That was the first thing he was able to say in English since we've been here, so he's getting better, he's okay.

Suddenly screeching filled the room, as I winced, hoping that the noise would just stop. And at once it did.