Eighteen

My eyes widened as my mouth parted in slight shock

I should've never said that, and by the emotionless look on Dante's face, he didn't seem very happy that I had brought up his best friend.

"I-I'm sorry...I didn't mean to -"

He shook his head, breaking eye contact and staring into nothingness. "I'll tell you what happened."

I felt a sigh leave my lips. I was expecting him to whip out his gun or something but I didn't expect him to actually want to talk to me about it. Mainly because he was just so closed off about everything in his life.

But I shook my thoughts away, focusing on the man before me.

"It was about five years ago when Sangue d'oro had only just started growing and we were both training." Dante sighed as I subconsciously got closer into his hold, holding his hands instead of actually helping them. "His father and my father were very close, but Romeo's father was much richer and more...known in a way. Only for good things though."

Dante looked down at me, taking his hands out of my grasp and then brought them up to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear, his fingers lingering for a couple of seconds before continuing again.

"My father suddenly got jealous of him and began to demand his mafia to be handed over to us but Romeo's father denied and this caused them to begin fighting our men and soon enough a war started between us. Romeo and I weren't allowed to train or see each other anymore, but we always managed to find a way to sneak out of our houses and just...hang out. And we did so till the night."

I felt myself lean into his body more as my hands went up to his shirt, slowly curling my fingers in them. "I thought my father wasn't in that night so I give Romeo the keys to come into my house through the front door but I had been so fucking stupid and I forgot my father had a new system built into our house so if anyone unknown got him it would alert him and make him come running down to shoot them."

My mouth slowly dropped, my eyes widening. Dante didn't actually kill Romeo. But I had to hear it from him first.

"Long story short, the alarm was triggered, I was still up in my room while my father ran down towards the door. And then I heard it. I heard his scream and I could hear the pain in his voice. I ran down the stairs, looking to see if maybe he had probably just hurt himself with a stupid toothpick like he always did," Dante chuckled but it was quick to die down, his face turning grim. "I saw his body instead. I saw my father holding the gun and a pool of blood in front of him. I remember running to Romeo, hoping that somehow he'd just...come back to me. But he left me, he left me to deal with the war that followed after and the pain of the blame being put on me."

I couldn't say anything but instead, I stood shocked, still trying to process what he was saying. I couldn't imagine the pain he must've gone through, the agony.