Twenty-Two

We were hardly a couple of meters away from the cafe as I found myself panting for air, while Carla continued running next to me, the both of us not saying a word as the police and the detective chased us from behind

I turned around, their guns in their hands and my eyes widened, grabbing Carla and turning a sharp corner.

"What the fuck, Khristina!?" She shouts while I turn around, the police still hot on our backs. "The car was right there!" I shook my head, my legs not getting tired but I couldn't give up now.

I needed to run.

The only words that were circling around my head were Dante's; 'And the only solution when you have someone up your back is to either run or kill.' It's crazy how I found myself thinking of what he said but there was no way I was going to kill those police officers so I'll just have to figure something out.

I collected myself, looking at Carla whose face was flushed red, shaking her as if waiting for a command.

I looked forward to another corner not so far ahead and I turned back around, the police were still chasing us but if we turned the corner right now they won't be able to catch us in time which would give us a couple of seconds to hide.

I grabbed Carla's hand again, pushing myself to run faster and turned the corner, pushing past some pedestrians on the road. We only had a couple of seconds to hide and right now my brain was all over the place.

I saw an alleyway, and that was the only thing we could possibly hide behind before we'd actually be in serious trouble.

I turned the corner, pressing our backs to the wall as I closed my eyes, trying to regulate my breathing and a couple of seconds after, the police came running down but they had rushed straight past us.

Carla was the first one to break the silence as she let out a huge gasp of air, leaning on her knee for support.

I rested my head on the wall, closing my eyes again.

I had just run and hid from the police.

A group of people that could find me and toss me in jail the second they picked up a scent from one of their weird dogs.

I'm a fucking criminal. And I'm officially on the run.

Oh shit.

Shit, shit, shit.

I slid down the wall, a stray tear unknowingly leaving my eyes but soon after more sobs escaped and I began weeping. I couldn't hold it anymore. Everything had just come crashing down, ever since I met Dante.

I was never meant to be involved with this, I was only meant to be serving drinks for only such a period of time and then go into college. But that's so fucked.

"Khristina, I need you to take deep breaths for me," Carla's voice was soothing as she rubbed her hands on my shoulder and it didn't take long to notice that I was having a panic attack.