Twenty-Four

I looked up to him as his gaze was dead set on the book

  I looked up to him as his gaze was dead set on the book. I had to admire how amazing his features looked, when he wasn't surrounded by the busy phones and the gunshots, he looked like a pretty hot guy.

But I have to remind myself that this guy runs a mafia, and he's not at all safe.

But yet whenever I'm around him I feel a tiny bit safe.

Even when he shot the detective in the office, I knew he would never use that same gun to even think of hurting me.

I didn't know it but I think so.

I looked back down at the book which had a long list of foreign names but I could easily spot one at the top; 'Il Sangue D'oro'. Dante's mafia. It was on page sixteen and I quickly flipped to it, meeting a long page of writing and some guy who looks like he was born in the fifteen-hundreds.

"This book talks about every single mafia boss to have ever ruled over their mafia. It has everything; when they were born, where they were born, why and when they died. Even where they shopped. So that guy right there," Dante pointed to the picture on the top right, "Enzo Caputo, founder of Il Sangue D'oro in 1560. Without him, I probably would just be an ordinary man."

I shook my head as I flipped through the back to back pages. It was fucking insane, there were so many people and I can't believe I had lived so cluelessly from these people. They basically had a whole fact file as if someone had literally spent their whole life searching them up.

As I reached the last page, I noticed that Dante wasn't there except for some bald man who looked similar to Dante.

"My father." I slowly looked up to see Dante already looking at me and then his eyes flickered to the picture on the book.

His father looked evil. Respectfully.

He looked malicious, he had that same look that Dante has whenever he wanted to kill someone except his one was much worse, much more devious. I could see it in his eyes, I could see the horridness and pain he had probably caused to others.

Maybe even to his son.

Everything added up now. Dante was only trained to be like this because of his father, I think.

"Why aren't you here?" I asked, trying to get rid of the brooding silence that had capped over us.

"I'm not the Don yet. But I soon will be." I nodded, flicking through some pages as I went through some mafia's, some of which didn't have as many pages because they were only just created, others had almost half the book going.

One name caught my eyes though, a name that had escaped Dante's mouth a lot more times than I would've liked to imagine.

I looked up to Dante who was too engrossed in his work and then I looked back down to the book. Unlike every other person in this book, there was no picture of this person and the only thing that helped recognize him was his name 'Oleza, Leader of the Russian Mafia'.