Sixteen

Carla said our order to the waitress while my head collapsed onto the table

We had literally walked around town for a good six hours, mostly shopping for things that she liked. But I had managed to pick a few good things for myself, mostly because I was scared of the money that we were spending.

"Oh chin up, Khristy." Carla sarcastically commented from across me as I lazily dragged my head up.

"It's fucking boiling out here, and I'm meant to just smile through it?"

She shrugged. "What do you mean?" I narrowed my eyes at the electric hand fan in her hands and then looked back at her. She smiled, shrugging again and then looked around the cafe.

I rolled my eyes, shaking my head.

"By the way," Carla suddenly began to rummage through one of the many bags that we had gotten and then pulled out a small white bag, pushing it over to me. "Here."

"What is it?" I asked her as I took the white bag, placing it on my lap to see a little box in there with a phone picture on the top. I quickly looked up to Carla who was grinning deeply at me as my mouth hung open.

"I couldn't possibly..."

She scoffed, waving me off. "Don't thank me, thank Dante."

And then my mood sank completely.

Was this a way of trying to apologize? By getting me a really pretty phone that probably costs more than my lifetime?

If I had gotten this a couple of weeks ago, I would've accepted it but knowing that this man is basically money in the walking, this would've probably been something of spare change to him.

"Did he get me to apologize?" Carla nodded her head, thanking the waiter who had dropped our drinks down.

"If I were you, I'd just take it because I need it. Just think of it as a regular gift." I leaned back in my chair, taking out the box and opening it.

A note fell in my lap and inside was the phone screen blank and probably too big for my hands.

I placed the box on the table, picking the note in my hands and unfolding it to read its contents.

I hope you like the gift, bellissima.

It's not meant to make me feel better but it only made sense because it would be very weird for someone to not have a working phone these days. I'll see you at dinner tonight.

Dante.

I bit my lip, folding the note and sliding it in my pocket. I looked back at the phone and I could only imagine the slight smirk on his face if he was to give this to me face to face.

I still don't forgive the way he had treated me last night, but considering he's a mafia boss I would have to learn that I shouldn't expect him to be so nice and welcoming.