Prologue

Darkness seemed to surround me yet I didn't seem to panic. Instead...my mind seemed to wonder: why am I here? What am I doing...?

With that, my eyes opened up to a beautiful sky. It was drenched in darkness with little lights spread across it alongside the moon. I felt drawn to the lights as I saw them yet I felt so far away...so far down. Where am I...? A question seemed to pop into my mind. I took a moment as I sat myself upright, no longer laying on the grass which stretched over from a nearby park.

Everything felt so strange to me. As if the very air felt foreign around me. Where am I...? I asked myself yet again, only for my mind to end up blank once more. My thoughts seemed to bounce around in my head, nothing much seemed to come to light. It felt like an endless void within.

I suddenly placed my hand to my chest as I felt something cold. I grabbed hold of a necklace, a locket; although, I didn't seem to pay it much mind. It's important to me...yes, I know...but it was also broken, jammed...a voice in my head told me, there was no way of opening it. I let it go as my focus shifted back towards my surroundings.

I stood up from my place on the ground as I looked around. The sky was dark...it was well past sunset, that much I knew.... The park I found myself within seemed empty, with a stray person walking past on a path.

Where to go...? My mind seemed to ask. What to do.... It seemed to wonder. I took a step forward, then another as I began to walk about the park. I walked on for what felt like hours, not in a single direction but all over and around the place.

I soon found myself walking through a city, an occasional metal box on circular wheels, or car...as my mind would immediately correct me, would pass me by as it travelled the road. An occasional small group who walked along the road would also wander past me, they gave me somewhat confused looks as I passed...I paid them no mind as I took in my surroundings. I soon stopped paying attention to where I was going all together as I looked around the city and barely stopped myself in time from walking into someone. A short girl, a child, who looked only a little bit taller than myself now faced me.

"Sorry." I quietly spoke, loud enough for the girl and the woman beside her to have heard me. It looked like the girl's mother, the woman who stood by her side. They had the same blonde hair and everything, only slight differences stood between the two.

"No problem." I heard the young girl state as she looked at me.

"Where's your parents...?" The woman seemed to question me. "It seems a bit too late for a kid to be out now, all alone."

"Parents...?" I asked the woman as my mind didn't seem to comprehend what she had asked me.

"Your parents...?" The young girl tried to tell me. "Your mother, father, the people who raised you...? Anything...?"

"Are you lost...?" The woman then asked me.

I looked around me once more, as I didn't really know what to say, before I answered her...with a question of my own. "W-where am I...?" I asked her as I wanted to know just where I was.

"London." The woman responded as if that should mean anything to me.

"Where...?" I seemed to ask once more as I didn't seem to understand her answer. London...? What is that...? Where is that...? Although, I didn't ask those questions...something, a voice within the deepest reaches of my mind, told me not to ask such silly questions.

"London." She responded once more. "Did you hit your head or something...?"

"I...." I staggered. Hit my head...? I asked myself as I wondered what that had to do with anything. "I suppose...." I answered her, one of my hands were now placed to my head. I didn't really notice it before she said something but...my head was pounding. "I think it has heartbeats...it's own heartbeat."

"Do you need to see a doctor...?" The woman seemed to ask me. "Or...." She went into her bag and pulled out a cellphone. "Call them...your parents...?" She went back to the parents things.

I looked at the phone in her hands, I didn't know what to say. "I don't...." I tried to figure out how to word it. "I think I don't...."

"Don't what...?" The girl asked me before her eyes seemed to light up. "Have parents...?" She asked, almost in disbelief. "Everyone has parents."

"I don't know." I insisted as I looked at them. "I...I don't remember." My mind seemed blank, it seemed empty.

"You must have amnesia." The woman told me, her words seemed to just slip past my mind. "Do you have anywhere to go...?"

I just shook my head at her question. I suppose I didn't have anywhere to go...my plan of just walking around seemed to be leading me nowhere fast.

"She can't stay here, it's only gonna get colder...." I heard the girl tell the woman, her voice seemed quite sad.

"I suppose...." The woman stated. "But only for tonight. We'll try and find your parents tomorrow."

"O-ok...." I told her. I didn't know why, I just met them but they seemed somewhat trustful. Besides...I would really like to find my parents but.... My mind fell silent at that last thought. It seemed so impossible, that goal and yet I didn't know why.

The girl grabbed hold of my hand before they started walking down the street once more. "I'm Rose, by the way." The girl told me. "My name." She responded after I gave her a confused look at her last statement. "Yours...?"

I thought for a moment before a name seemed to float through my mind. "E-Emily...." I responded, my voice a little dull. "Emily Evans." I stated once more yet that name just felt hollow, foreign, even, upon my tongue.

"At least we have that to look into." The woman told me as we walked. "Don't worry, we'll get you back home." My stomach seemed to growl as it alerted the two of them to my sudden hunger. It felt like I haven't eaten in what felt like forever. "In the meantime, you sound like you could do for some dinner."

~~~

One night.... That's what the woman said, Rose's mother. But one night turned into two, and then three. True to her word, she had started to search for my parents but everything seemed to be coming up empty. It was as if I didn't exist and yet I did. There was no way I could describe it. It seemed...hopeless....

~~~

Word Count: 1170