XXXVII: The Truth

I then placed my hand along the wall of the Tardis. "Show me...." I told her, a light then ran under my hand. "Show me please...." The light travelled down the hallway, I followed it...River hot on my heels...or soles. I seemed to pick up my pace into a jog, then a run, as the light picked up it's pace.

"Emily...?" River asked me, confused at to what we were doing. "Where are we going...?"

"No clue...!" I told her as we rounded a corner. "Follow the light!" We followed it left, right, up, and down as we went through the maze of the Tardis. We finally reached a door at the end of a hall. It looked similar in style to both my and Rose's bedroom doors...but it wasn't one of ours. On the name plate of the door sat one word: 'Doctor'. This was the Doctor's room. I placed my hand on the door knob before I twisted it open. River stood still and quietly beside me, she didn't try to tell me anything...not even to tell me not to invade the privacy held within a bedroom...she just watched as the world around her passed her by.

I entered the room, with River beside me. It was a normal-ish looking room. A king sized bed sat nicely in the middle of the room, pushed up against a wall. Some dressers and nightstands dotted around the room, there was even a desk with a chair in front of it. Next to the door, like in my room, sat a bookcase stacked with rows upon rows of books. I didn't expect it to seem so...ordinary...? Boring...? The walls of his room were a very dark grey, the covers on his bed were a black. It seemed to suit his personality considering all he ever wore was clothes in various shades of black.

I walked into the center of the room as I looked around...I didn't really know what I was looking for. Well...that was a lie...I did know what I was looking for. I just...didn't know where to look for it. The Tardis lead me here...so it must be in here...right...?

My hand brushed against the soft blanket over his bed...nice and comfy...and warm. I took my attention away from it as I went over to one of the dressers.... Well...I hope I don't have to ransack his room. After all...I didn't really want to leave a trace that I had been in his room.

"Do you know what you're looking for...?" River seemed to ask me as she opened a draw of a dresser before she closed it back.

"A note." I answered her question as I shut a drawer. Not in that one. "Not quite sure where I got it...I don't even know what's on it. I just know that I have to find it. There is something on it...maybe the answers to my questions."

"Are you sure...?" River asked me as she opened up another drawer. "What if you don't like what you find...?"

"I don't care." I told her, opening another drawer. "I'll deal with it. I'll have to."

"Something once read can never be unread." River told me, looking into a drawer. Her voice held a warning.

"I might not like it." I told her as I looked. "But I have to try...there is so much I don't know.... So many things I've forgotten...at least I can know this...if I could just find it...!"

"Emily...." River told me before she motioned to the drawer she had been staring at. I shut the open drawer I had just opened before I walked over to her. Nice and neat, in the drawer laid a folded up piece of paper.

"Is that...?" I asked her, referring to the piece of paper.

"Only one way to find out." River told me as she picked it up. "Are you sure...?"

"Positively." I told her I reached out for the piece of paper only for her to prevent me from grabbing it as she moved her hand away.

"Are you ready...?" River seemed to ask me as she looked at me.

"Is anyone ever...?" I asked her. She then handed me the piece of paper. Just the way it felt in my hand...without opening it...I could tell that this was what I had been looking for. Hesitantly, I opened the note.