- 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞 -

- 6 Months Prior -

"Congratulations my fellow graduates of the class of 2020. Wherever we go and whatever we do, we will always be friends when we meet again."

I throw my graduation cap in the air with the sound of hoots and hollers sounding off in my ears. Everyone throws their arms around each other in hugs, taking pictures and clapping.

"Look at us high school graduates." Abby grips my shoulders and turns me around to face her. Her bright blonde hair is curled into beautiful, natural beach waves, her makeup flawlessly subtle.

"Crazy right?" I shrug. My high school experience wasn't exactly what I wanted it to be. But i'm glad I had my classes and Abby, of course, to bring me happiness these past four years.

She cocks her head at me, "You should be more excited. Come on!" She grabs my wrists in her hands, "We're adults now. We're free! Smile at the very least."

We're free.

"I am excited." I say, "I've just been sitting near José talk about his love for Minecraft for the past hour and a half so can you blame me if I don't seem as pleasant as usual?"

Her brown eyes shrink into slits and she jokingly hits my arm. "You're so annoying. Let's go take pictures yeah?" She grabs my hand and leads me away from the massive crowd to her family waiting near the bleachers.

I've spent more time with Abby's family then my own, but then again, I never really had a family to begin with. So her family kind of became mine.

"You two look gorgeous," Her mom says, "Get together for a picture." Abby and I cross our arms around each other in a hug as we stick our tongues out at the camera.

"Just so you know," Abby whispers in my ear, "Jake invited me to a party at his parents house and everyone is going. I'm dragging your ass with me."

I roll my eyes. "Why?"

She looks at me with the same you're so annoying you should already know the answer to this effing question look. "Why? Are you serious right now? What else do you have planned for graduation night?"

She's right. My mother is working and I'm almost done packing for New York. So I'll be in bed with store-bought ramen watching Ten Things I Hate About You all by myself.

"Exactly. You're going." She says fixing my hair so my cap doesn't ruin my fallen out curls.

I've always hated my hair. It's always either greasy or dead. Whenever I curl it, it never stays in the perfect long lasting curls Abby's are always in.

"Whatever. You're helping my ass pack for New York tomorrow then," I tell her. She smiles, "Deal. But if I'm hungover, you owe me coffee and-"

Her voice is cut off by my ringing phone.

"Is it her?" She asks, annoyance taking form on her features. She already knows who it is and so do I.

"Mom" flashes on my phone screen. I answer it, holding my finger in my ear to drain out the loud chatter around me. "Hello?"

"Hi, Mandy. I'm sorry I couldn't make it to your ceremony. How is it?" Her voice sounds sincere.

"Hey Mom. Yeah it's fine. I'm going out with Abby later so I'll be home late if i'm home at all."

A pause. "Oh okay." She sounds annoyed now.

Great.

"Yeah so, I'll see you tomorrow?" I say into the phone. Another pause before her answer, "Yeah, love you honey."

I hang up, turning to Abby. "Can we get out of here please?" I need to get changed out of this itchy gown.

"Yeah. We need to stop by the Deans office for our honors certificates really quickly." She begins  walking towards the school and I follow behind her.

I'm an honors student and my own mother couldn't even make it to my graduation.

"Wait," I stop her. She turns around and looks at me. "Everything okay?"

I nod, "Yeah, but can we just pick them up tomorrow? I really want to get out of here."

She looks at me sympathetically. "Sure, let's go."

I hop into her Jeep, taking my cap off my head.

"I'm so glad I get to leave this place." She chuckles, "Yeah tell me about it. One more month and we're out of here."

I nod, looking out the window.

One. More. Month.