16 | 𝐃𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭

It turns out Chloe, Landon, and Abby made a mini surprise party for me. The address Chloe sent to me was the address to Landon's apartment.

They put in a lot of effort actually. There are balloons and a small banner. And Chloe did in fact buy me a vanilla birthday cake.

Now, we sip on drinks as Chloe sits on the floor playing go fish with Landon while Abby and I watch them and chat.

"Damnit! Why are you so good at this?" Chloe says annoyed as she slaps her cards down on the floor. "It's not my fault you suck. I told you I'd beat you," Landon says.

"Bro that not fair at all. Cheater!" Chloe yells as she points at him. He takes a swig of his drink and laughs.

"He kicked your ass. You'll win next time," I say in hopes of slightly comforting her. Mostly to annoy her but I know she loves me.

Chloe looks down at her watch, "It's eleven o'clock. Do y'all wanna head home?" she asks. Her bun sways as she looks over to Abby and I sitting on the couch.

"I want some more cake," Abby says, setting down her drink and walking over to Landon's small kitchen. His apartment is amazing. It's penthouse big and it's insanely nice. I assume, like Carter, he comes from some wealthy family too. Not that it changes my view of him.

He's still one of my closest friends, pretty much the only guy friend I've ever been able to bond with.

Granite counter tops, wide tv's, and even one of those fancy cappuccino machines are in this place. I've been dying for one of those for years.

"Mandy, what about you?" Chloe asks me. It's my birthday and I've had fun but I am exhausted, drained, and over worked.

"I think I'll head back," I point to the door and put down my drink.

"Nooo," Chloe pouts. Landon's face becomes sad and Abby gasps with a mouthful of cake.

"Bitch," she says as she walks over to me, still holding her plastic plate of cake. "You're the birthday girl. Why are you leaving? Plus, how am I supposed to get inside your room?"

I roll my eyes, "bitch," I mock, "I have been doing work all week, my back is aching, and I desperately need some sleep. There is the spare key under the doormat that Thomas gave me. You'll be fine."

I grab my small black shoulder bag and she follows me, "We haven't even done presents!" She groans.

Presents?

"I told you guys to not buy me anything," I cross my arms. I swear they never listen to me. If I wanted presents, I would've given them ideas. She stops eating her mouthful and Chloe slaps her forehead.

"Well..." Landon begins from the living room, "We just got you tiny things. We wanted to treat you."

I roll my eyes, "guys."

They stay silent. I set my bag down with a sigh and head over to the black couch. Abby hands me her gift first. It's a pink envelope with white cursive lettering.

Inside, is a gift card for any store of my choice with the pricing of $100. I give her a hug of gratitude.

"Here's mine!" Chloe exclaims, handing me a taller box that is silver with a red bow. A bottle of my favorite perfume - Prada Candy - sits inside the box. I gape at her and she smiles at me.

"I saw you were out of it a few weeks ago so I bought you one," she smiles and pull her in for a hug.

Landon hands me a larger and slightly wider box. A pink bow sits on top of a card box named "The Box of Emotions."