9 | 𝐅𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬

After my coffee, I finished my first two classes and ate lunch in the library before heading to literature.

I swear, if he calls on me, I will actually throw my textbook across the room.

I've barely read the book we're supposed to be reading and I'm starting to think it's really obvious. 

Sorry, but I'd rather be reading my books. 

I logged into my bank account and saw that the reason my card was declined, was because it expired over a month ago. I contacted the bank, ordered a new one, and had to put in my information. It took up most of my lunch time. 

I walk into the classroom and take a seat where Chloe and I normally sit. She walks in shortly after, sporting black ripped jeans, knee high black boots, and a sage green knitted sweater with her hair done in curls.

"Hi," she whispers, a bright smile on her face. I smile at her as she sits next to me.

"I'm not ready for this," she whines as she pulls out her notebook and glitter pens.

"Yeah, me neither." I take a deep breath in preparation.

"Good afternoon," my professor starts. "As you all know, after the Great Gatsby is finished we will begin our section of Hamlet. I hope you all have those books purchased already and have begun reading because we will begin those lessons next week."

I take another deep breath to in hopes of releasing my stress. 

"I will also want full annotations done in your books by the end of the semester as your partial final grade," he says and everyone in the class groans, including Chloe beside me who drops her head on the desk. 

"Yeah, yeah I get it," he hushes the class. "It's not my choice, it's just the policy. Anyways, we left off with our class character analysis last week, can someone remind me who we left off on?"

Chloe speaks up, "Nick."

"Thank you, Miss Connors."

My eyes begin to feel heavy already and I've only been in this classroom for two minutes.

"Mr. Osteen, you left off on Jay Gatsby. How does his character contrast with Nick Carraway?"

He begins to write what appears to be a large chart in purple marker on the board.

"They're both outsiders in wealthy communities of the East and West Egg," the guy says. He sounds like he's further behind me from where I sit. 

"Okay. Keep going," the professor says, writing the response down in a section of the chart.

"Nick is also familiar with the wealthy crowd because of his own families privilege and his relation to Daisy," the guy continues.

"Hey," Chloe whispers and nudges my arm. I force my eyes awake.

"Yes?"

"Did you, by any chance, speak with a Carter Osteen at all?"

I tense.

Carter...

"A Carter, yes, earlier this morning, but I don't know his last name," I whisper in response. "Why?"

She nods looking behind me, "Because he's been staring at the back of your head for the past two minutes."

What?

I quickly spin and look around, until low and behold, coffee shop Carter is making direct eye contact with me.

I completely freeze and feel my eyes widen.