21 | 𝐊𝐢𝐬𝐬

After telling Chloe the whole situation, she was just as shocked as I was.

She was mostly hurt by the fact that someone would go out of their way to hurt her friend. Over time, Landon has become her friend too.

I asked her for advice on weither I should confront Carter about the situation. He is Landon's friend and he's clearly of interest by Audrey, he deserves to know.

So, I texted him first.

Mandy: Hey.

My heartbreak quickens as I wait for his answer. He responds within seconds, as always.

Carter: Hey.

Mandy: Can we talk?

Carter: Of course.

Mandy: Coffee?

Carter: I'm paying.

———————

Carter insisted we have coffee at the coffee shop we met at.

He was there first, handsome as always when I walked in. I feel nervous and distraught at telling him this, especially since it's somewhat awkward between us right now.

"Talk to me," he says as he sips on his coffee that appears to be a cappuccino.

I take a deep breath, not knowing what subject to toggle first. "It's about Landon's... situationship."

I'm not totally sure if they're dating yet so there's not really any other word for it.

Something shifts in his blue eyes, which I now realize, are tired. Small bags have formed underneath them and they're almost unnoticeable. He looks so stressed out.

I feel a small ounce of my heart ache in concern for him.

"She uh," I say not knowing how to spit out the words, "she texted me. Yesterday."

He nods for me to continue. "She warned me about how close I am with someone and how she doesn't like it, but it's not who'd you expect."

Carter sits there waiting, looking confused.

"It's you," I finally say, "she's using Landon to get with you."

He closes his eyes and one of his hands comes up to rub them. "I knew it," he mutters under his breath.

"You already knew this?" I ask, slightly pissed off. Why would he know this and not tell Landon? Or anyone?

"Of course I knew this," he confesses, "Audrey has wanted to get with me for years."

I close my mouth and lean back in my chair.

So there's history.

"Elaborate," I command. I'm pissed and I want to know what this whole ordeal it about and why I'm being dragged into it.

"Landon and I went to high school together back west," Carter says. I already knew this but I let him speak.

"Landon and Audrey were on and off through school. She'd cheat on him and he'd want her back because she's manipulative and always gets what she wants.

But that never stopped her from wanting to get with me. She's always wanted me and I've always rejected her."

He sips on his coffee again and exhales a deep breath.

"So you don't like her?" I ask curiously.

"No. She's a bitch," Carter states. I have to hold back a snort.