10

Gabi

I woke up with a start in my bed, rubbing my eyes to check the time on the clock. It read 2:45, so I sighed and rolled over, pulling the duvet up to my chin.

Falling asleep during movies seemed to be my new thing, but dad always tucked me into bed after instead of waking me up which was nice. I wasn't exactly the easiest to pick up, but I supposed he was tall too, so to him I was probably still small.

I tried to sleep for a while, then packed my school bag and brushed my teeth, but it still didn't make me tired, so I knocked on dad's door and let myself in.

"Dad,"

"What?"

"I can't sleep. Can I take something?"

"No, you have school. You can sleep in here, that's the best I can do,"

Without hesitation, I climbed into his bed and he wrapped his arm round me, gently rubbing my back.

"Do you feel okay?"

"Mhm,"

"Good,"

He fell back to sleep pretty fast, but I didn't, and then he started snoring so I climbed back out of his bed and went downstairs to get some water.

My body felt tired, but I couldn't get the rest of me to and it was unbelievably frustrating, especially cos I was feeling more and more crappy.

"Gabi, sweetheart,"

"I can't sleep,"

"I know. Let's go for a drive,"

"It's okay,"

"No, come on,"

I looked up at dad and he grabbed his keys, holding out his hand to me; I took it and he locked our fingers, picking up a blanket on his way out.

"If you need a day off tomorrow, you can have it. I know you get all your work put on the computer so you can catch up whenever, don't feel pressure from me,"

"I just can't sleep,"

"I know, but if you feel crap then stay off. Please,"

I got in the car and he tucked me under the blanket, then began to drive us around, playing rain noises on the aux.

"Dad,"

"Mhm?"

"I'm sorry,"

"What for?"

"You have to drive me round and never get a good nights sleep,"

"I get enough sleep, and I can have coffee. You know I would do anything to make sure you felt okay,"

"I love you,"

"I love you too angel, but go to sleep now. You need it,"

**

Next time I woke up, I was back in my own bed, my clock reading 8am. I groaned a little, then rubbed my eyes and sat up, my head spinning slightly.

There was no way I was missing school, so I quickly put my uniform on and went downstairs for breakfast, finding dad had already prepared a fruit salad and a packed lunch for me.

I slid it into my school bag and ate my fruit salad as I slipped my shoes on, then took my medication, and filled my bottle. Then I tied my hair into a ponytail and brushed my teeth.

He had left the car keys by the door with a note telling me to have a good day, so I locked up the house and got in the car, adjusting the seat.

I was probably going to be late to school, but I didn't care right now.