38

Luke

The next day, Gabi seemed to perk up a bit. Julian had come and stayed over, then we took him to school the next day because we had to go and collect some work from the office.

She had a word with some of her teachers, and they let me know she was getting back on track, then we went home again and she napped on the sofa.

Sierra had gone home yesterday and hadn't spoken to me since, which was frustrating because I felt it was quite obvious that it was all made up.

But, she didn't actually know Kiera and was entitled to feeling worried about it all. I just felt that you might trust the one who let you meet his daughter over the abusive ex partner in prison.

As I was thinking about it and clearing the kitchen table, there was a knock on the door, Crystal stood outside grasping Sierra's wrist in her hand.

"She is here to talk,"

"Look, I don't wanna talk unless she does,"

"I do,"

I let her in and took her to the kitchen, starting to make her some tea. She sat at the table and twisted a bobble in her hand, then took the cup from me and looked at it.

"Sorry for accusing you of not being faithful, and for lying. I shouldn't have jumped to any conclusions and I have taken time to consider the context and realise I was wrong. Luke, I am so sorry for suggesting that you might still love her,"

I nodded and bit my lip, trying to control my tears with a deep breath.

"Thank you. I understand that in the moment we were all emotional and I shouldn't have shouted either. It's just the fact you haven't answered any calls and messages since, it kinds made me feel really crap. Like, why did it take so much time for you to believe me over my ex wife, in prison, who made Gabi and I cry in pain that she was getting a kidney when that should be a happy moment I just... I don't get why it took so long, genuinely,"

"It's not an excuse, but I have struggled a lot with trust, and letting my guard down," she said quietly, "I am working on it, and I know it isn't an excuse, but I have opened up to you so much, and I got scared. I didn't know how to start this conversation,"

I took her hand and locked our fingers, then placed a kiss on hers and she gave me a small smile.

"I truly am sorry, thank you for being patient,"

"Thank you for explaining," I said.

"Are we good?"

"Yeah,"

She kissed me, then I pushed my chair out and she sat on my lap as she drank her tea. Gabi was snoring on the sofa, so we spoke quietly, but it was good to have an explanation.

"I only took part of the day off, so I need to get to work,"

"Okay, are you swinging by later for food?"

"I would love to, I'm just gonna use your toilet,"

When she went down the hall, I cleared her cup away, feeling Gabi wander into my back; she yawned and gave me a hug, then spot Sierra's mug on the table.

"She came back?"

"Yeah,"

"Thank you for forgiving her,"

"She's had our backs, she was looking after her own this time,"

"Even though she was mad, she held me. She's so kind,"

"She is," I said, looking over Gabi's shoulder to Sierra now stood at the door, "I am glad you're comfortable,"

"You promise not to mess up for real at any point. I want to get to know her more,"