37

Luke

Before you read this and freak out, I don't know your address, someone is sending it for me.

I couldn't not send my baby girl a happy 18th card, because now you're not a baby anymore. I wish I had got to see you grow up. We could've done lots of things like painting and makeup, and had girls days out.

You seem like a very smart and beautiful girl, and I am proud of you for taking after me. Again, don't freak out, I am not a stalker but facebook is very useful for my visitors. I love you. I would never harm you or stalk you.

I included this photo to prove it. Look at how happy I looked when I held you. You were hard to give birth to, I got sick with you, but I still loved you anyway. You were never sick with me, so I don't know what your dad did to make you sick and need a kidney. He was always irresponsible.

I hope your kidney is working. It was a painful recovery for me and I hate surgeries, but I did it for you because I love you and I am very upset we haven't met since your dad won custody. If he is hurting you, you can come to me. I won't hurt you.

Your kidney better be working.

I hear your dad is buddied up with another woman now, and she is a surgeon. Was she your surgeon? Please let me know. They seem to be in love but your dad isn't really capable of that. He just lies and only cares for himself. Also, does she know he has been sending me letters all the time telling me he misses me? That's why I am telling you I miss you- we could be a family again.

I am your mum, and you know that.

I hope you have a really good birthday, and got lots of treats. You deserve it!

From mum.

"Bullshit," I whispered, "Bullshit,"

This morning I had cooked Maddox breakfast, and taken her to her sports practice, in a relatively good mood. The sun was out and the birds were singing, and Sierra stayed to help because Gabi was asleep.

And I came back to her sobbing, the sky cloudy, my mood plummeting to the core of the Earth, and Sierra refusing to look at me.

"Gabi, this is unacceptable, and you don't have to listen to a word of this,"

"I don't- she... I don't... what?"

"She's trying to get into our heads, you are nothing like her angel,"

She nodded and rested in my arms, her crying slowing down.

I was beyond pissed.

"I am gonna go," Sierra muttered, grabbing her purse.

"No. Stay. Please,"

"Why should I?"

"You actually believe that?"

She stayed silent and I rolled my eyes, giving Gabi a squeeze.

"Go upstairs and I will call Ashton, and we can talk in a moment,"

"Okay,"

"I love you,"

"I love you too. And Sierra, I like you,"

"It's okay, I am leaving,"

"No," I said, putting my hand on hers, "Please just stay. Everyone just, take a breath,"

Gabi picked up her new shoes and left the kitchen, so I listened for her door shutting before standing back from Sierra and tilting my head.

The letter was full of such bullshit. I hadn't spoken to her since the day she lost custody, and I had never harmed Gabi in any way. She was trying to make it look like I was some horrible parent who made my daughter sick, and cheated on my partners or ruined families.