18

Luke

I woke up in a sour mood.

Sleeping on Gabi's behaviour last night had left me angry, and disappointed in both Gabi and myself.

Had I done a bad job at parenting?

Even though Sierra reassured me she was absolutely fine, I still felt extremely guilty about what she had witnessed and experienced from my own daughter.

I understood Gabi was unsure. Her mum was obviously not a good person, but it had been 17 years and I had finally found someone who made me feel so amazing... and she couldn't take a second to reflect.

All I had ever done is protect her. I fought for her, and I stuck by her through everything, but she thought I would really let some random person into her life?

Maybe I wasn't as good as I thought.

None of that even mattered now though, because there was a shit ton of tension between the three of us and I felt like crap. I didn't prepare for her to be that horrible.

I dried my eyes for a few tears had fallen, then got out of bed and went straight into the shower, before making myself breakfast.

Gabi came downstairs and got herself some water, but didn't look at me, and just went back upstairs.

Two could play that game.

I tried to relax by doing some cleaning and laundry, but that didn't work, so I changed and went for a jog instead.

When I got back, I showered again, then made Gabi some lunch and put it on her desk, making my own to eat in the living room.

Evidently, I was better at this game, for she came downstairs once she had finished and hovered by the end of the sofa.

"Can we talk?"

"We can,"

"I'm sorry. To Sierra and you,"

"Thank you,"

"I'm just scared,"

"What about sweetheart?"

I wanted to be mad so badly, but she was going red again and bit her finger nails, so I opened my arm and she sat beside me.

"Everything,"

"Well that's a lot of ground to cover,"

"I really hate mum,"

The one thing that always made Gabi cry without fail was her mum. She hadn't seen her mum since she was 1, therefore had no memory of her, but the fact she had hurt me was enough to send Gabi into extreme panic.

"I know. But Sierra is not anything like mum, I promise. I have been with her for 2 months, and that was to make sure she would be a good person to introduce to you. She wouldn't hurt a fly,"

"What if she is bad though?"

"She isn't," I said, wiping her tears, "She is super kind, and she really wants to have a relationship with you. Whether that is friendship, or as a guardian, is up to you, and you don't have to decide right now,"

"Okay,"

"She read your favourite book to talk to you about it. Maybe you can send her an apology later and see if you can talk to her,"

"I don't wanna talk to her but I will send an apology,"

"Well that's a start at least. She will be coming round a bit more, or we might go there, so there's plenty of opportunity to see her,"