24

Gabi

I winced at the pain in my abdomen, blinking my eyes open to find myself alone. Monitors beeped quietly beside me, and I could feel bandages and tubes coming of me.

I took a deep breathe and then coughed, gasping slightly, before hitting the nurses button.

"Hiya sweetheart, I will get Dr Deaton down,"

"Ow,"

"How much ow?"

"Lots,"

She changed my medication and wrote it down, then tucked my blanket over me and waited beside me.

Luckily, it didn't take long for Sierra to arrive.

She sanitised her hands, then sat beside me and started to take my blood pressure manually, even though there was a monitor.

"It hurts,"

"It will for a bit, but we will give you lots of medicine,"

"I want dad,"

"I will see where he is at,"

"I want him,"

"Yeah, I will go and give him a call,"

"No, stay,"

"I will be two seconds, how about you choose some tv?"

She passed me the remote, but I felt too weak to pick it up, so I just watched her call dad through the door. She smiled when she spoke to him, I saw.

"He is just coming up now. How are you feeling?"

"Sick,"

"Nauseous?"

"No. Just sick. Ill,"

"Okay. To make sure you heal the best possible way, I need you to do some things! Can you make sure you don't mess with any of the tubes, or bandages, or monitors?"

I nodded, but it made me dizzy, so I scrunched my eyes up and whined.

"You lost some blood in surgery, and the medicine makes you feel a bit funny, so just relax,"

"I am hungry,"

"You can't eat just yet I am afraid,"

"Please? I thought you were good,"

"I will get you food when you can have it. Mac and cheese, I promise,"

"I want to cry,"

"You have lots of medicine and that can make you feel emotional," she said, holding my hand, "Dad will be here any moment,"

I leant back and stared ahead, my brain feeling kind of foggy. I couldn't decide how I was feeling or what I wanted to do with myself and it was weird.

Every time I was put to sleep, I thought I knew what to expect, but I always forgot quite how weird it felt.

"Sierra?"

"Yes,"

"This is not where my kidneys are,"

"Your old kidneys are still in there, but that kidney is the only one working. It's there because it is easier to make it your kidney in the surgery,"

"Okay. I just realised I knew that,"

"Well then aren't you a clever clogs?"

"I don't hate you,"

She looked at me blankly, then a smile grew and she nodded, locking our fingers.

"Well I don't hate you either!"