34

Gabi

We had barely left the canteen when I burst into tears.

Sierra took me into a small office not too far away which smelt off vanilla, and had as much decor as the room allowed.

She put my chair beside the desk and then sat down on her own chair, handing me a tissue.

"Ignore them. I know seeing Maddox is important, especially because you are so emotional after surgery. It's completely normal to feel overwhelmed,"

I nodded and she smiled, giving me a nod back.

Out of everyone, she seemed to care the least about everything going on- they were all worried about dad being happy. Which was good, but they could be pushy.

"I knew you were joking, and I know that you are trying. I am trying too, it's something we both have to figure out,"

"Sorry if I hurt your feelings,"

"I thought it was very funny that you were already teasing yourself for how you were before,"

"Well I am glad someone understood," I sniffed, looking down, "I keep saying it's because I don't want dad to be hurt, which is true, but I'm just scared still,"

"Well that's not going to change over night. Literally, over night, because we spoke yesterday,"

"Yeah,"

"I am going to talk to everyone else and make sure they keep their noses out of it... do you want a hug?"

"Yeah,"

She wrapped her arms round me and I clung onto hers, sniffling away as I rested on her.

Having my mum's kidney put in me was weird enough, but now Sierra was here and though she hadn't acted like a mum in many circumstances, I still craved her nurture. I didn't want to let go of the hug, and I loved when she braided my hair or held my hand because it was like something I had always dreamt of.

Deep down I had always wanted that female figure.

Now she was here and I felt insanely confused.

"I tell you what. See if Maddox is free, and I will bring her round to watch a movie. I can stay if you want, or I can pull your dad out the house and take him to mine. Whatever works for you,"

"Thank you,"

"You're welcome. Shall we actually go and wake your dad up now?"

"Yes please,"

She took us back to the office and then woke dad up, running her fingers through his hair as he grumbled.

It was gross, but I was happy to see him being cared for.

"I fell asleep?"

"Yeah,"

"Gabi, I am so sorry,"

"It's okay, I had lunch, and I brought back the other half of my panini incase you wanted it,"

"You have it, I will eat at home. If we can go,"

"You can go,"

He grabbed Sierra's face and kissed her in delight, then gathered everything up and sighed.

"Shall we go?"