42

Luke

"You what?!"

"I got an interview,"

"That's incredible," I said, wrapping my arms round Gabi tightly, "That's amazing, darling. That's so good,"

"Well done!"

"Thanks,"

"My little girl is going to be a doctor,"

"Maybe. I have to do well in the interview first,"

"I am sure you will, this is so exciting,"

"Are you crying?"

I sniffed and shook my head, but when she let go of me you could see the tears on my face.

"I'm just proud!"

She giggled and then gave Sierra a hug and did a little giddy dance, showing me the email.

As I read it, Sierra grabbed a lighter and then uncovered the cake, lighting the candles up.

"Now we really do have something to celebrate!"

"I was saying you'll have to help Gabi get an interview outfit," Ashton said, slinging his arm over Sierra's shoulder.

"I will. I will take her," I said quickly, "We will go shopping,"

She blew the candles out and we clapped and cheered for her, then all had a slice of cake at the table.

To be fair, it didn't taste too bad.

Gabi seemed happy with it anyway, but she had a buzz around her from the interview that I felt couldn't be touched. Even though she had pretended not to care about the rejections, I knew she had.

Ashton ended up going home after, for it was approaching night, and Gabi retreated upstairs. I was pretty sure she wanted to face time Maddox, so I let her be.

That left Sierra and I to tidy up, but she suddenly seemed a bit quiet, and didn't look at me as we tidied up.

"Is everything okay?"

"I just... you say you want me involved in your family, and you introduce me to them, but the moment anything drastic happens I am shut out,"

"What?"

"Just then, you couldn't bare the thought of me helping Gabi with med school," she shot.

"Oh...,"

"Why can't I be involved in something big?"

"I think I have let you be involved. I just had this plan, I've probably had it for her entire life, about her going to med school and all the things I would do to help. Sorry I got defensive, I just panicked, that I wouldn't get to do it. It was gonna be our special thing to remember,"

"Did you really think I was about to cut you out of your own daughter's life?"

"No, I panicked,"

"You can just take her. I don't want to ruin your special moment. Just incase we broke up or something,"

"Sierra, you know it's not like that," I said, following her as she left the kitchen, "I have involved you in everything else, and we are all going to go shopping together,"

"Okay,"

"And quite frankly, I don't know if I've been involved in your life at all,"

She stopped and sighed, her hands covering her face as she stood facing away.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have said that right now,"

"No, you're right. You're right about everything. I'm sorry,"