26

Luke

"This is gonna suck for a few minutes, okay? But then Maddox will get here and you will feel so much better and you should sleep well,"

"Okay,"

Cal and Sierra had both agreed that an epidural would help Gabi a lot more and I agreed, for she was acting so differently that I wanted to try whatever possible.

She was really, really distressed.

Cal had weaned her off relaxants for a few hours to try and stabilise her mood because the concoction of medications wasn't suiting her well, and it did kind of work, but she was just fed up.

Now, she was back on them but at a lower dose.

"What is going to happen?"

"Ashton is going to numb your back and then insert something that lets us put medicine straight inside,"

"Why Ashton?"

"He has done loads and loads of these,"

"Well I want Maddox,"

"She'll be here in a few minutes with Michael," I said, holding her hands, "Stay still,"

She scowled as Ashton numbed her back, then her jaw opened as he did the epidural, her hands squeezing mine.

"You are doing so well,"

"Ashton I hate you,"

"You won't in a few minutes,"

"I hate you,"

"You're doing amazing,"

"I hate you,"

He stepped away and gave a thumbs up, but she grit her teeth and looked at me, taking a deep breath.

"I am so, so, so proud of you," I whispered, resting my head level with hers, "I am so proud. You are being a superstar, and I will make sure you get all the best treats once we are home,"

"That sucked more than I thought,"

"Well you have done it now, so well done,"

"I want Maddox. I want everyone to go away and I want Maddox,"

"I'm gonna stay, but someone will go and find Maddox. Deal?"

"Deal,"

"Alright,"

"I wanna go home,"

"Well then you need to rest super well,"

"I love you,"

"I love you too," I said, "So much,"

She nodded and looked past me blankly, taking slow breaths but still holding my hands.

It was only a few minutes later that Michael came in with Maddox, and I tried to let go, but Gabi gripped me tightly, so Mike pulled a chair up beside me for her.

She put her hand on top of Gabi's and looked at me, so I gave her a reassuring smile even though I wasn't reassured myself.

"We miss you at school, Gabi. We hope you feel better soon,"

"I miss you too,"

"How are you feeling?"

"Really shit,"

"Is there any way I can help?"

"I don't know,"

"Okay... well I just want you to know I am here for you,"