16

Luke

"So, I will see you later, I hope,"

"Absolutely, just let me know how it goes so I know what I'm walking into,"

"Will do," I said, kissing Sierra goodbye, "Might end up being homecooked if she gets that much in a mood,"

"I'll do whatever,"

"I love you,"

"I love you too,"

I took my bag and left, heading down in the lift and to my car. It was almost lunch, so I hoped Gabi and Maddox were awake.

When I got home, I made sure to jingle the keys really loud and then slammed the door pretty hard, taking a while to climb the stairs.

"Dad?"

"Hey Luke,"

I opened the door and found Gabi laid on her bed, Maddox spinning on her desk chair, bags packed in the corner.

"Good morning,"

"Afternoon now,"

"Oh- yeah. Afternoon. Are you staying for lunch or do you want to go back now?"

"I can go back,"

"I don't mind, we have plenty,"

She looked at Gabi and they communicated between them with their eyes, then Maddox picked up her bags and shook her head.

"I'll go back, I have a huge essay,"

"Do you have a huge essay?" I asked Gabi, since they shared classes, "Or does one of you have terrible time management?"

"That would be me," Maddox said, "Thank you for having me, Gabi,"

"Are you not coming with us to drop Maddox off?"

"I'm really tired,"

"Okay, have a nap then. Want me to pick up some lunch?"

She nodded and shut her eyes-I could tell she was genuinely tired- so I took Maddox's bag and we left.

"So what did you guys have for tea?"

"Gabi cooked,"

"She cooked?"

"Well... Gabi defrosted,"

"Ah, I see. Did you sleep okay?"

"Yeah,"

I twisted my lips and tapped my fingers on the steering wheel, stopping at a red light. Someone else's radio filled our car, and then the light turned green, so we were left in silence again.

She sat up straight, tapping her fingers on her lap, looking out the window.

"So, how do you find school? Is it as boring as Gabi makes it seem?"

"Kind of. But I do a lot of extra things like badminton, and drama, and the flute, because I live there,"

"That's pretty cool. You share a dorm with Maja, right?"

"Yeah, she's really messy,"

"Messy roommates are the worst!"

"Yeah. You can drop me off here,"

"Are you sure?"

She nodded and got her bag, unbuckling her seatbelt.

"Thank you for having me,"

"Of course. Hopefully I will see you again soon, enjoy writing your essay,"

She gave me a small smile, then climbed out the car, so I turned round and went back through town. On the way home, I stopped by a deli and got Gabi and I paninis and a cake each, then got back home and put the radio on, waking her up.