31

Luke

With Gabi fast asleep, I scrolled aimlessly through social media, enjoying the comfort of my own bed.

She'd sent off her application just to see what could happen, but I knew deep down she was really hoping for at least an interview.

Ever since she was little, she had always been fascinated by Ashton. His stethoscope, the posters in his office of brains, the little models and all the names.

As she grew up, she used to beg and beg to watch his surgeries, but of course she couldn't, so Ash used to come over and tell her all about it instead.

But as she got more serious about it all, and her health began to decline more, she said she would settle for something like general surgery- or no surgery at all.  And she pretended that she didn't care, but we all knew she did. The four of us had grown up with her being absolutely fascinated with the brain and one day she just shut it all off.

I hoped she would get an interview just to reignite her love for it, because perhaps she couldn't be a surgeon, but she would be a bloody amazing neurologist.

A year out wouldn't hurt her, I'd let her work and she could pursue her hobbies. But, she wanted this and she deserved this. Plus, having her at home would be good for both of us, and it would comfort me knowing how she was. I knew I was overprotective but I had good reason.

"Dad?"

"Yes darling,"

"My IV is out,"

"You got it out earlier, you're home now,"

"Oh yeah. Sorry. I got confused,"

"That's okay, shall we get you back in bed?"

"I'm so tired," she yawned, "I forgot we came home. I panicked,"

I took her back to bed and tucked her in, then kissed her head and she was out again like a light.

As I got back to my room, my phone began to ring, and I answered a face time to Sierra. She was home, also in bed, with a big smile on her face.

"Guess what?"

"What?"

"We have a date tomorrow,"

"Do we now?"

"Yes. The guys are keeping Gabi company while we go to a drive in movie,"

"That's amazing, thank you,"

"You've been cooped up in hospital too,"

"I know, I know,"

"Are you getting an early night?"

"Yeah, I'm not sure how she will sleep,"

"I'll leave you to it then, hopefully you both sleep well. If you need anything at all, like some shopping or medicine, or a cuddle, give me a call. I love you,"

"I love you too. Goodnight,"

It didn't come to my surprise at all that Gabi had another shitty night. She ended up in my bed, propped up on pillows and buried in blankets. She was asleep for a few hours, but then it got to about 10am and she gave up.

She looked at me with teary eyes and sighed, then rested in my chest, and sighed again.

"Can I have medicine to sleep?"

"No, but just wait here, I will see what I can do,"

I left her in the bed and went downstairs, making us both some oatmeal and getting out some berries. I'd done a small food shop while she was on hospital, so we were okay for a few days.