33

Gabi

"You're not too invasive. I like you," I finally blurt out.

"Oh. Okay,"

"I don't think I like you around because I like having you around,"

"Huh?"

"I like having your company. I've not had a female figure before, so I... don't like it,"

"Oh, well like I said, we have only just met and it's up to you to choose how you see me. We can just be friends," she said.

"Yeah, okay,"

"I was so worried I had done something! I didn't think the problem was that you liked me,"

"She's weird like that," dad said.

"Hey!"

"Just saying. I am proud of you for talking to us though, darling. I think we should just keep hanging out, you'll get used to it,"

"Yeah. I guess,"

"Oh, Ashton told me you mentioned your uncles,"

"They mentioned them,"

"Oh, right. Would you like them to visit? I am sure they'd love to, and grandma,"

"Sure," I said with a shrug.

"I want them to meet Sierra too, so perhaps they could come for the day. They don't live too far,"

"Okay. Can I go to bed now?"

"We could watch a movie,"

"You guys just did that," I said, "Thanks, Sierra,"

I took myself back upstairs and shut my door, taking a deep breath before crawling into bed. Almost literally crawled, because the adrenaline had swiftly ended, and my entire body hurt like hell.

Dad ran upstairs, his footsteps heavy, then he peeked his head into my room and tilted his head.

"I understand. It's been scary for me too, it's still scary. Letting people in isn't easy and you have kinda grown up with everyone around you,"

"I'm sorry,"

"No, I am sorry for getting mad... I should've thought more about how you would feel,"

"I guess that might've helped,"

He grinned and blew me a kiss, then shut my door.

I stayed up overthinking for a bit about Sierra, and all the things she might do, but then I bored myself to sleep because they all ended with it being a mistake because she was nice.

For some reason it made having her around really hard.

Dad woke me up in the morning by brushing his thumb on my cheek, then when I rubbed my eyes, he put a bowl of fruit down beside me.

"Good morning,"

"No,"

"Yes. It's about 10am again,"

"Already?"

"You're still tired?"

"Exhausted. So exhausted,"

"Okay... try and eat some food,"

"Today is a bad day,"

My whole body ached, and my incision was hurting, which quickly brought me to tears.

I hated this surgery so much. It had made me so emotional, and I knew this was tough and that it was okay to be sad but I was usually good at controlling it.