20

Gabi

"Oh I didn't see. I didn't see. I didn't see,"

Michael turned round and smacked his face into the doorway, then Ashton came behind and pushed him back in.

Maddox was ontop of me, frozen, so I pushed her off and she landed beside me, aimlessly wiping the lipgloss off my face. She did a crap job, so I grabbed a tissue and did it myself.

"Maybe knock,"

"Well most people don't make out when they're admit to hospital,"

"I'm only here today, I'm basically not admit,"

They looked at each other and I groaned, throwing my head back on the pillow.

"I didn't even get to pack a hospital bag,"

"Because you collapsed,"

"Well yeah but... ugh,"

"Anyway, I need to get you back to school, Maddox," Michael sighed, "Doctor's orders,"

"Which doctor?"

"Mine,"

"Can I give patient orders?" I asked.

"Nope, but if we leave now I will bring her back tomorrow,"

"Fine,"

Maddox gave me a smile and then kissed me one last time, before tucking me into the bed and leaving with Michael.

Ashton shut the door behind them and then burst into laughter, grabbing another tissue before gently wiping the rest of the lip gloss off my face.

"Imagine if we were your dad,"

"Well you weren't,"

"You're all grown up. I hate it,"

"I love it,"

"How are you an adult next week?"

I grinned, but his shoulders were drooped and his eyes showed sadness; I tilted my head to the side and poked him, laughing quietly but not getting it in return.

"Isn't that a good thing? That I made it this far?"

"You were so little though, and I knew I had years and years left to spend time with you. Now you're driving and you have a girlfriend, and you want to go off to become a doctor! I miss knowing how much time we had left,"

"Well now I am gonna cry,"

"Me too,"

"We can still spend time together,"

"You might not want to,"

"Uncle Ashton," I said, dragging out my speech, "I'm always gonna love spending time with you,"

"Where are you gonna study?"

"I don't know. It depends who lets me in, I'm waiting on interviews,"

"Still?"

"Yeah. It's not looking good,"

"Whatever happens, we will help you out. If you need to have a year out and reapply then you can do that, and I will get you volunteer work sorted here. It'll work out,"

"I just wanted to make dad proud,"

"He will be proud you even tried! Med school is hard, it took me 2 tries, I totally bombed the interviews. Things happen and we either try again, or try something new,"

"It's been really hard this year,"

"I know darling, taking a year out might actually be the best thing for you,"