43

Gabi

Eventually, dad calmed down. I followed.

And we ended up laying in silence with the tv on.

I was pretty sure I kept dipping in and out of sleep every few minutes, but I was disoriented so couldn't be certain.

This medicine was something else.

"Are you hungry?"

"No,"

"Okay... I need you to drink. You can have any drink,"

"Coffee,"

"Nice try,"

"Then I won't drink,"

"Gabi,"

"I won't drink then!"

"Seriously?"

"Yes,"

He sighed and went downstairs, then came back up with a sandwich and a cup of coffee.

"You eat this, you get to drink this,"

"Deal,"

I shuffled up and scrunched my face up as a pang hit my head, then I took the sandwich and reluctantly ate it.

He seemed relieved, but I wasn't too happy.

"Can I sleep again after this?"

"Can you sleep... after coffee?"

"Mhm,"

"Well not really,"

"You didn't make it decaff?"

"No... did you want that?"

"No, I just thought you would've,"

"I can make you one,"

I shook my head and sipped the coffee, smiling to myself smugly.

"Can Maddox come over?"

"She can come for tea,"

"Can you ask?"

"This may come as a surprise, but I do not have your girlfriend's number,"

"Michael does,"

"Only to go and pick her up for you. Text and see if she's free,"

"She probably isn't,"

"Why don't you wanna text her?"

I shrugged and looked down, chewing on my lip.

We hadn't spoken much lately. Well, for like, a day. And I had been feeling crappy. But still.

Suddenly I was worried she hated me, or felt like this was too much because we didn't ever have an official pre relationship stage.

Or maybe she thought me being ill was too much. I thought a lot of people felt that.

I hadn't even told her about med school.

"Give her a text,"

I grabbed my phone and started typing, Mads appearing in the chat immediately.

"Why do you look scared?"

"I don't know. Don't ask me questions,"

"My bad,"

"She said yes,"

"Sierra can pick her up on the way home. How about we get some fresh air in the garden? Petunia wants to go out,"

"You can,"

"Come onnnnn,"

"Dad, I know you're a doctor, and that you are trying to do what you think is best, but please just accept that I feel utterly crap right now," I begged, "Please. You know I love being with Petunia, and going outside, and doing anything other than laying in bed. But I feel like crap,"