12

Luke

"So you had a good day?"

"Yeah,"

"Who went to the coffee shop?"

"Maddox, Maja, and Julian,"

"Nice," I said, sitting on the end of Gabi's bed, "I'm glad you had a good day. How are you feeling?"

"Shit,"

"I can tell. Why don't you stay off tomorrow?"

She nodded and I sighed out of relief, because I'd been so worried ever since she came home looking all red faced and flustered.

"I will do my work online,"

"If you can manage it, yeah. We should get the results back soon, Calum booked us an appointment on Monday,"

"Okay,"

"I'll let you go to sleep,"

"I love you,"

She held me tightly as I hugged her, so I crouched down and rested on her chest, letting her hold me. Sometimes she just liked to have me there.

"Can I come to your work?"

"Why don't you stay here in your own bed? I would prefer you to,"

"Okay. Don't wake me up then,"

"I won't. Sleep well,"

I tucked her in and then shut her bedroom door, getting into the shower before my own bed.

I heard Gabi snoring (as much as she complained about me, she did it too) so I picked up my phone and called Sierra, grinning when she picked up.

"Hello?"

"Is now an okay time?"

"It's always an okay time to call you," she said- I could hear her beautiful smile in her voice.

"Have you had a good day? I barely saw you,"

"I don't think I sat down once, I'm shattered. What about you? How have you been?"

"I was in the lab again, and Gabi went out for a drink with some friends so I think she's had a good day too. Cal came over,"

"I'm glad you're both okay,"

"I'm so desperate for you to meet her,"

"It's not long now. Does she have a partner?"

"No... I think I have put her off. Ah, I don't know, teenagers are confusing,"

"They are indeed. You sound really tired, don't let me keep you,"

"Yeah, I am sleeping in a moment but I wanted to call you before I slept to remind you that I think you're very beautiful, and that I love you,"

"I love you too. I will see you tomorrow, yeah?"

"Yeah. Goodnight,"

"Sleep well,"

I put my phone on the side and curled under my covers, relieved to hear Gabi still sleeping. I considered staying off with her tomorrow to look after her, but realised she was both old enough, and responsible enough, to stay alone.

I always felt like she would need me, but had to remind myself that though we cuddled a lot, she only really felt she needed me when she was scared.

Plus there was always this sense of freedom as a kid to have the house to yourself.

In the morning, I woke up and checked my phone, then got into my scrubs and went downstairs to get breakfast. Gabi wasn't awake, so I left her a note and made both of us some lunch, then I ate breakfast as I walked round getting my shoes on and bag packed.