46

Luke

When we got home, Gabi went off upstairs, while I went to the kitchen and cleared out the fridge for Sierra, who was just picking up some bits.

I wasn't sure what Gabi was doing, but Ashton had seemed to motivate her, so I expected school work.

"Hi,"

I spun round to see Maddox stood at the kitchen door, in Gabi's jumper and some joggers, carrying a bag.

"I didn't hear you come in!"

"I brought ice cream, for Gabi,"

"She will love that, thank you. How are you doing?" I said, putting it in the freezer, "You seem like a very busy person!"

"I'm okay,"

"Just okay?"

She nodded and bit her cheek, looking at the clock past me.

"Sierra will be back soon if you want to talk to her,"

"I'm fine, just tired,"

"Okay... Gabi is upstairs. Is fish okay for tea?"

"Mhm,"

She went off upstairs, so I leant by the counter and texted Mike a thanks- he did a lot behind the scenes for Gabi.

When Sierra got back, I cuddled her for as long as I could before she had to unload the shopping, then being the efficient person she was, she began to cook.

"Is Maddox here?"

"Yeah, something seemed to be bothering her but maybe she's just tired from school...I know our job should feel more exhausting than school but man I would never go back,"

"You didn't like school?"

"I did, I had Mike and Cal, it was always great. But so exhausting... I think it was the pressure,"

"Yeah, I get that. I'm the opposite though, I think work is way more challenging, but then again I am a surgeon,"

"Not to flex but I get to disappear off to the labs whenever I want,"

"Not to flex but," she mocked, pulling a face at me, before laughing to herself.

"Hey!"

"I'm kidding, but I am jealous of your time off,"

"You get time off for the cabin though,"

"I do, and I am excited for that. Hot tub ready,"

"You're gonna look hot,"

"I know,"

I smirked and she cocked her head to the side, leaning over to kiss me; midway through, the timer went off.

"Girls!"

"Our moments always get ruined here,"

"I know right, we're gonna have to get to yours at some point,"

"She'll be okay to leave alone, you know? Well with Maddox,"

"Maybe,"

"Girls!" she shouted, "It'll get cold,"

"You know what they're doing,"

"Mhm, I will go and knock,"

She slipped out the room, so I set the table and put the food out, all three of them coming downstairs. Gabi wiped her mouth and sat opposite me, while Maddox sat beside her, her hands in her lap.

"How was school today?" Sierra asked.

"Okay,"

"Not the same without Gabi?"

"No, we all miss her. We are excited for this week,"

"It'll be awesome,"

She nodded and began to eat, clumsily using her left hand only. Gabi avoided all my eye contact too, and I was going to ignore it until Maddox accidentally hit her right arm on the table and let out a loud-

"Fuck!"

"Are you okay?"

"Shit, you just dislocated your shoulder," Sierra said, putting her cutlery down, "How on Earth?"

"I did it earlier in my sports game, but it just went back to normal and I thought it was fine,"

"Oh sweetheart, this needs a doctor,"

"I'm fine,"

"You should go," Gabi said, "We should make a sling,"

"That's a good idea,"

She began to hyperventilate, so I got her some water and crouched beside her as Sierra gently put her arm into a sling.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay. Injuries are scary, and they hurt, obviously, but if we got to hospital you're gonna get some nice medicine and that shoulder all fixed up,"

"I'm scared,"

"I know, but I will take you. And we can ring mum and dad,"

"I thought it would be fine,"

"Your coach should've sent you to hospital, you couldn't have done anything. Come on, let's go and see what we can do,"

"You could take my wheelchair?" Gabi suggested.

"I'll be okay, there is ice cream for you in the freezer,"

"I love you,"

"I love you too. I will probably go back to my dorm now,"

"We have the holiday, it's okay,"

The pair kissed, then I got Maddox's bag and led the way, shutting the door behind me. Still hyperventilating, she got into the car and tried to call her parents, but dropped the phone and let out a sob.

"Maddox, breathe with me. Big breath in... big breath out... big breath in... and out. Carry on doing that,"

I got her phone and unlocked it through face id, then put it on the phone stand and found her mum to call as I backed out the drive.

"Hello?"

"Hiya, it's Gabi's dad, Luke,"

"Oh?"

"I have Maddox here, and she dislocated her shoulder from an injury in her game today, so I wanted to let you know I was taking her to hospital, and will make sure she gets looked after,"

"Oh goodness. Maddox are you okay?"

"Yes, mum,"

"I was just about to ring you about your game. Do you need to come home?"

"No! No... I have the holiday with my friends, remember?"

"I know, you better take it slow then. We can call again later, okay?"

"Okay,"

"Be brave. Thank you, Luke,"

"No problem, have a good night,"

Her mum ended the call and I passed the phone back, her breathing now pretty normal.

"What is gonna happen?"

"We are gonna go, and they will probably take an x-ray, then as long as that's all good they will give you some gas and put it back. You'll probably have a sling,"

"Okay,"

"Don't worry, I'll make sure we get the info we need. Shall we go in?"

"I guess,"

"Good, because we have left Gabi alone with Sierra, and I don't know how that's gonna play out,"