Chapter 8

I looked back, and there he was, Siddharth Saxena. "What?" I asked, shocked. "Yes, whatever you heard is true. You are going to marry me, and that too, the day after tomorrow," he said. Today is the day where I got so many shocks in my life... today is the worst day of my life. First, Sakshi di is in a coma; second, my father allowed me to study, so in return, I can give him the promise; third, I have to marry someone; and fourth, that too, my sister's fiance. I couldn't believe my luck. I was stunned, and I didn't have any words to speak. I looked at Siddharth; he was looking down. I looked at my father; he seemed to be severe, and my mom, she was sad. I didn't talk about a word; I went to my room and cried the whole night.

The next day I woke up. "Mahi..." I saw mom entering the room. I didn't say anything to her. She came and hugged me. "Mom, why is this happening?" I asked her. "I don't know. I wish I could stop it," she said. "Beta, you have to be mentally prepared for everything because today you are getting married," she said. "What???..but it was tomorrow, right?" I asked. "Yes, but Siddharth's family said that today they wanted you both to get married," she said.

"I still can't believe him; he is such a liar. He betrayed di... couldn't you understand, mom? He is ready to marry me... what about di... is this love?" I said. "Mahi, I want you to know that your mom is always there for you. It's not like I haven't fought for you with your father, but he told me that whatever he is doing, it's for your own good. After all, it's destiny, beta," she said and then went away. Wow, my whole life took a 360° change. I came home from my sister's marriage, and today I am getting married. I am still trying to figure out what I should do. Why do I have to give a promise...

In the evening, "Mahi..." I looked, and mom was there. I looked at the time; it was 8. "Mahi, you have to get ready. This is going to be a small wedding... there will be no guests, only family members," she said. "Of course, why would there be guests here... they will get something to talk about," I said, irritated. "Mahi, take this, wear it," mom handed me a Dulhan joda (bride's dress). It was a red golden lehenga. I remember Sakshi di telling me how she always wanted to wear a red lehenga at her wedding.

Mahi's Dress

I went to Sakshi di's room; she was lying there, as if she was sleeping

I went to Sakshi di's room; she was lying there, as if she was sleeping. I approached her, caressing her hair. "I am so sorry, Didi," I said, crying, and hugged her tightly. I was sobbing so hard. "Ma'am, you must stay away," the nurse said. I immediately pulled back. "Mahi, let's go," I looked back, and mom was there. I went to my room, feeling a mix of emotions. I wore the bridal dress, but there was not an inch of happiness on my face. Mom helped me get ready, and finally, I was done. I looked at myself in the mirror, still unable to believe what was happening.

"Ma, I don't know what the heck I am doing. I am going to marry my sister's fiance," I said, tears rolling down my cheeks. "We can't do anything, beta. It's destiny," Ma said. "But it's about my whole life. It's happening just because of a promise I made. But now I think my whole life is going to be a mess," I said, feeling overwhelmed.

"Mahi, don't think like that," Ma said, trying to console me. "Let's go now; it's time for our marriage," I looked back, and there he was standing, my sister's fiance, no, my would-be husband. I looked at him, and he was wearing a golden sherwani.

"How could you do this to Sakshi di!" I shouted at him. He glared at me, and then he spoke to my mom, "Aunty, I will bring Mahi down," he said, and my mom nodded before leaving.

Now, it was only us, standing facing each other. "Let's go," he came to me, and I instinctively moved back. He took my hand and started leading me towards the mandap, the traditional Indian marriage ritual.

"I don't want this marriage," I said quietly, but he replied sternly, "You don't have a choice." I fell silent because I saw my father; there was no turning back now. It was just his family and mine, and I couldn't shake off the feeling of sadness and confusion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep reading

Lots of Love

Your's 

Erica <3