Chapter 11

Mahi pov

"Mahii, wake up, we have a flight." For a minute, I thought it was my mom, but as soon as reality hit me, I opened my eyes and saw Siddharth fully suited up, as if he had a meeting to attend. I sat up, trying to wake up fully. "Come on, fast, we have to leave in half an hour," he said. "What's the rush?" I said, irritated. "Oh really? I've been trying to wake you up for the past hour," he said.

I looked at him, made a face, and went to the washroom. Then I remembered he had called out my name last night. "Did you call my name last night?" I asked. He looked at me carefully. "No," he replied. I thought for a moment and then asked, "Did you sleep in the same room as me?" He responded, "Well yes, I am your husband after all." My face dropped. "It was one of those magical nights," he said, trying to lighten the mood. "That's not possible," I said. "Oh god, I can't do this," he murmured. "I was kidding; I slept in another room. Now, will you please get ready?" he said.

I gave him a look and moved on to change. I needed clarification on what to wear; should I go with something traditional or casual? Considering we had to catch a flight, I opted for jeans and a Kurti to look decent. I tied my hair in a ponytail and went out. I looked at Siddharth; he was fully ready as if he were going to attend a meeting or something.

"Excuse me," I said. "Hmm?" he responded without looking at me. "Well, I want to talk about something," I said. "Say it," he replied, still not looking. "If I'm talking to you, you have to look at me," I insisted. "Well then, I have a name; call me by that, not with 'Excuse me' and such," he retorted. "Damn, you're rude, aren't you?" I said, then left the room.

An hour later, we were at the airport. I realized that Siddharth's parents hadn't spoken a single word to me. I still couldn't figure out how they allowed him to marry me, but I didn't need answers right now; it wouldn't change anything.

DELHI

Finally, we arrived in Delhi. It had been a silent trip for all of us. We went out, and two drivers received us. "Namaste ma'am," they greeted me. I smiled and greeted them back. Two Mercedes Benz cars were waiting for us. Mom and dad had already left in one car. "Let's go," Siddharth said to me.

I had never been to Delhi before, although I had heard a lot about it: street foods, Connaught place, pollution, crimes, traffic, metro. I felt the Delhi breeze; despite the pollution, there was something special about Delhi. After a while, we finally arrived at our destination.

I found myself standing in front of an enormous mansion. Is this his home? I wondered. We went in, and I was greeted by Radha, the housekeeper, with a big smile. I smiled back at her and saw Siddharth's mom and dad already in their room on the ground floor.

"Come on, our rooms will be on the first floor," Siddharth said. It sounded weird hearing "our rooms." We went upstairs, and there was a grand staircase in the middle. We stopped in front of a room. "This will be your room," he said. I looked at him surprised. "My room?" I said. "Yes, only yours. And that one will be mine," he pointed toward the room at the end of the hall.

I was happy that at least I had my own room. I looked at him without asking anything, said thank you, and he smiled a little before going to his room. I entered my room, and oh gosh, I couldn't stop admiring it. It had a huge window, a wardrobe, and a washroom. I couldn't believe this was my room. I locked the door, changed into something more comfortable, and jumped on my bed.

I took a moment to collect myself, sitting on the edge of the bed. The reality of my situation sank in once again. Married to a man I barely knew, in a city far from everything familiar, it was a lot to process.

As evening descended, Siddharth and I shared a quiet dinner with his parents. The conversation was polite but distant, highlighting the underlying tension that still lingered between us. I couldn't help but wonder what they thought of me, the unexpected addition to their family.

After dinner, I retreated to my room, grateful for the solitude. I sat by the window, watching the stars twinkle in the night sky. It was a moment of reflection, a chance to gather my thoughts amidst the whirlwind of change.

Despite the challenges ahead, I knew one thing for certain – I was stronger than I ever thought possible. And as I closed my eyes that night, I whispered a silent prayer for the courage to face whatever tomorrow brought.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep Reading

Vote, Comment and Share

Your's 

Erica <3