Chapter 9

Dove’s POV

My arrangement with Xavier continues as usual. We have our meals together and I leave him to continue with his work. Come to think of it, the only time I see him is when we are having our meals, it’s not bad but I just wish we could be something more.

If only.

Currently I’m making our dinner and my mind starts to wonder on our conversion last night. I learnt a whole lot of new things about him like how he’s actually British and moved to Alaska when he was 10. Maybe that’s why he has that sexy accent that never fails to make me weak in the knees. I’ve learnt that Logan and Xavier have been friends ever since they were kids and Logan’s family helped him through a lot of things.

As I put the dinner in the oven I open a bottle of sweet red wine and pour myself a glass. As the dinner is cooking I let my mind wonder on the enigma that’s Xavier Adams and how to figure out all his mysteries.

“Is dinner ready?” I jump when I hear Xavier’s voice pulling me from my thoughts. I didn’t think he will come down this soon.

“Five more minutes.” I reply as I watch him make his way to his whisky cabinet and take out a brand new bottle. Apparently his favourite drink is whisky on the rocks, something I also learnt yesterday.

After dinner, I decide to watch some TV since I’m not sleepy yet. I find Jumanji the one with Dwayne Johnson and Kelvin Hart playing back to back. Suddenly a crazy idea hits me.

“Do you want to watch some movies with me?” I ask him as he was leaving.

“You know our agreement, food only, nothing else.” He replies with his emotionless face.

“Please Xavier, just this once. Pleaseeeeeee.” I beg making sure to put my puppy face on full display.

“Ugh, fine. Just this once and don’t get any ideas.” I literally jump on him from excitement of hearing his answer.

When I realise what I’ve done I slide down his body and head into the kitchen in order to make some movie snacks before the movies start. Coming back I set the bowl of buttery popcorn and the bars of chocolate in between us. I pull my favourite blanket over my lower body and press play.

During the movie I notice that Xavier doesn’t touch the snacks and is watching the movie with a scowl on his face. I pause the movie and ask if he’s alright.

“Are you ok? Why aren’t you eating?”

“I never had junk food.” He quietly replies. He never had junk food? How is that possible? He’s rich, he has access to them and he’s not allergic to anything.

“Why.” I ask wanting to get to the bottom of this.

“Growing up I never had them. The other children always ate things like chocolate and when I asked for it, they would just laugh at my face. Once I stole it since I wanted to know how it tasted like but I got beaten so badly by my uncle that I couldn’t walk straight for two days. After that I never wanted it again.” He replies with an emotionless face looking straight ahead. How can a person treat a child that way?

Removing the snacks between us, I climb into his lap and hug him. Right now I don’t care about our agreement, he needs comfort and I’m going to give it to him. I don’t know what fully happened to him but it’s clearly still hurting him.

“You know what we got to do right? We have to give you some chocolate.” I say after removing my face from his shoulder. I break a cube from the chocolate bar and hold it close to his mouth. He seems hesitant at first but he opens his mouth and slip the chocolate piece inside.

He face while eating the chocolate is priceless. Its filled with wonder and joy and every beautiful emotion in this world. It’s like the little boy got his wish after all these years and I make a promise to introduce Xavier to all the chocolate types and brands this world contains so he will never fill deprived again.

We actually finish both movies now that Xavier is in a better mood. May I just say how hot Nick Jonas looked in those movies, Priyanka Chopra is a lucky lady.

As I bring the empty dishes back into the kitchen, I start thinking about the tender moment I just shared with Xavier. He’s been super quiet about it and I don’t know whats he’s thinking. Did I overstep when I tried to comfort him? Did I make him hate me more than he already does for bringing up his past and giving him the one object that he was forbidden as a child? This is stressful and sometimes I just wish I could read his mind.

As we were climbing the stairs he tells me that he has a work that needs to be finished. I guess that’s his way of saying ‘I need space, don’t bother me.’

Lying in bed I start to wonder about our whole relationship, that’s if I even can call it that. Xavier isn’t your traditional mate maybe that’s why we were paired together since I’m not your traditional werewolf girl. If today was anything to go by i can tell that’s there a wonderful man hidden behind that cold, dark exterior he wears as a shield. I just hope one day I can peel all those layers back and meet the real Xavier Adams.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter.
Don’t forget to Comment or Vote.
Love, Ria