Chapter 16

Xavier's POV

Gently laying Dove down in the bed, I work to remove the one shoe on her uninjured foot. The exhibit really tired her out so much so she slept in the car. Covering her with a blanket I leave heading to my office to finish some of the work that I have been putting off.

I groan when I see the document the neighbouring alpha sent me asking for more land. This alpha is relatively young and new to the alpha position since his father retired not so long ago. He wants the land to expand his pack but that piece of land is where I conduct most of my training and there is a dam that generates electricity for the pack due to the river.

I must handle this issue delicately since one wrong move could result in war. If only he had his father's brains.

Putting the document aside, I concentrate on other documents that need my attention until Logan walks in.

"Damn, you look happy." He says sarcastically taking a seat in front of me.

"I just came from the hospital." I reply while reading the next document in front of me.

"So how was the visit. Was the boot removed? Cause i know how much she hates it." Does he have to remind me how much my mate hates being around me.

"No, it wasn't." I reply my tone clipped due to irritation that is already rising within me.

"What's wrong?" He asks me suddenly serious. I sign. Logan is the only one who knows everything about me and the only one I can be open to without being judged.

"You know, the usual." I sign looking down.

"Xavier, I've known you since I was nine. You are my best friend and my alpha. I know it had due to what has happened and sometimes it's hard moving forward but are you going to let him get in between you and that very wonderful woman. Are you going to live in fear you whole life fearing for something that may never come? What if one day she gets tired of waiting for you and leaves, what will you do then? Are you ready to see her with someone else just because you couldn't take a step towards her? I'm not saying marry her this instant but take it slow, maybe start with actually being nice to her and who knows maybe I will be an uncle soon."

Trust Logan to insert a joke in a serious conversation. But he has a point. Just thinking about Dove with a another man makes me want to commit first degree murder on the guy. Knowing what I need to do I thank Logan and leave the office.

Walking into our room i notice Dove sleeping like an angel with her hair all over her pillow. I quickly and quietly change to my pajamas and climb into bed with her. I move her closer so she is sleeping on my chest and she snuggles closer. I breathe a deep sign of contentment as I drift off into the land of dreams.

3 weeks later

"What do you mean you aren't coming?" She ask bewildered. You see today is Dove's appointment with her doctor and with any luck the boot will be taken off.

"I'm not going because I've got some important work that needs to be done." Today I decided that I won't go with her to the doctors insted Logan will take her. I'm preparing a surprise for her when she gets back.

Kissing her forehead, I wish her a safe trip before pulling Logan to the side and taking to him. During these past few weeks we have gotten so much closer to the point where it isn't weird anymore when I kiss her forehead. I remember how shocked she was the first time I did that but she didn't say anything and now here we are.

"Please take good care of her and don’t let her do anthing crazy." Ever since I decided to give us a try I've come to realise how a handful Dove can be with her silly antics.