Chapter 17

Dove's POV

My heart swelled with empathy as i stepped through the welcoming doors of the pack orphanage. The laughter of children echoed in the air, as a smile graced my lips. My mum always taught me about the power of small acts of kindness, and today, I'm determined to bring smiles to the faces of the young ones who had faced so much adversity.

The head caretaker, Ms. Thompson, greets with a warm smile. "We're so grateful for your help today, dear. The children have been looking forward to this." She says as she takes the container full of brownies from my hands.

I returned the smile and rolled up my sleeves, ready to dive into the activities of the day. I spent the morning playing board games with a group of enthusiastic kids and sharing stories that sparked their imaginations. As the noon sun shone down, I helped serve lunch and for desserts we had the brownies I brought which the kids greatly enjoyed.

After lunch the kids begged me to play football with them. Football and i don't mix, mostly because i suck at running but i couldn't say no to their pretty faces. I dribbled the ball, laughter bubbling from my lips as i chased and was chased by a bunch of giggling kids. The happiness around us was contagious, and it made me lose myself in the thrill of the moment, forgetting my own worries and insecurities. Children are truly the best medicine and I can't wait to have one of my own.

As the day drew to a close, I found myself seated under a sprawling oak tree with a group of older kids. They shared their dreams, their hopes, and their fears. I listened with an open heart, offering words of encouragement and understanding. In that shared vulnerability, I saw myself in each child, a reflection of my own journey from a small pack to being the mate of Xavier.

Later that evening, Xavier found me sitting outside on the steps leading to the house.

"What are you doing out here. Its cold." I don't reply to him instead i lay my head on his shoulder and stare at the sky which was painted with hues of orange and pink as the sun dipped below the horizon.

Xavier's phone buzzed, drawing our attention to it. Picking it up, his eyes widened as he read the email that had just arrived.

"What is it?" I ask him as he keeps staring at the screen.

Xavier turns the screen towards me, a bored look on his face. The email is an invite to a werewolf meeting for all alphas in America and their lunas.

My eyes widened in surprise and intrigue. "That's...unexpected. But why me?"

Xavier's expression softens as he reaches for my hand. "Dove, they see you as my equal, my mate. Your strength, your kindness—they've left a mark on our pack. They want you there as much as they want me."

My cheeks flushed, a mixture of humility and uncertainty washing over me. "I appreciate that, Xavier, truly. But I'm still human. What if I don't fit in or if I embarrass you?"

Xavier's thumb caressed her hand gently. "Dove, you're not just any human. You're my mate, and having you by my side makes me stronger. Our pack values unity and diversity. This meeting—it's about discussing matters that affect all of us. Your perspective, your insights, they're unique and invaluable."

My gaze softens as i looked into Xavier's eyes, finding solace and reassurance in their depths. "Alright," I conceded with a shy smile. "I'll go, but only because you've managed to convince me."

Xavier's grin was infectious, and he pulled her into a warm embrace. "Thank you. You won't regret it. Now lets get you inside before you catch a cold."

~

As the day of the meeting drew closer, my nervousness lingered, but my trust in Xavier's unwavering belief in me helped ease my fears. But if he dares to leave me alone there than I'll be sure to that regrets the day we became mates.

The morning of the departure was met with a clear sky and a gentle breeze. The scent of pine and earth surrounded us since it rained last night. I couldn't help but feel a mixture of excitement and unease, a bundle of emotions swirling within my chest. Xavier takes hold of my hand to stop me from picking at my nails; a behavior that shows up whenever I'm nervous.

The road stretched out ahead, winding through dense forests and open fields. Xavier's presence beside me and his hand which was now resting on my thigh as he drove was a constant comfort. As the miles passed, my mind began to wander, envisioning the faces of the alphas and their lunas, wondering if they'll accept or disregard me.

Finally, the grand estate hosting the meeting came into view. A sense of awe washed over me as we approached the sprawling mansion surrounded by pristine gardens. Xavier says every year one alpha is choosen to host the gathering and this time the honour befell on Alpha Andrew and his Luna Marisol.

As we entered the mansion's grand hall, the sight was nothing short of impressive. Alphas and their lunas from all corners of America mingled, their presence commanding respect and attention. I took a deep breath, steadying myself as i walked alongside Xavier, my heart racing.

A tall, imposing alpha approached us with a welcoming smile. "Xavier, it's an honour to have you here."

Xavier nodded respectfully. "Thank you for the invitation."

The alpha turned to me, his gaze warm. "You must be Dove. I'm Alpha Andrew of Moon Stone Pack. This is my mate and the pack's luna Marisol." He says introducing a blonde blue eyed petite woman

I extended my hand with a shy smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you both."

The alpha's grip was firm yet gentle, his eyes holding a knowing twinkle. "I have a feeling your presence here will make this meeting all the more interesting."

As the night unfolded, I stayed close to Xavier and through him I got to meet alot of new people. I'm surprised at how welcoming they are. As the evening came to a close, we found ourselves in the living room with Xavier intertwining our hands.

"See, I told you that you belong here." he whispered.

"You were right, Xavier. This is where I'm meant to be." I said while my lips curved into a soft smile.

We were soon shown our room and I couldn't be more grateful. Climbing into the soft fluffy bed I breathe a sign of contentment as I snuggle deeper into the blankets. Today was... interesting hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Hey loves,

Share your thoughts in the comments and show some love with a star tap! 🌟