Chapter 14 - Pathetic

With just four weeks and a few days left until the mafia ball, my Aunts were driving me crazy

With just four weeks and a few days left until the mafia ball, my Aunts were driving me crazy. They seemed to be on a mission to test my patience and sanity. I sighed as I looked at myself in the mirror, preparing for the inevitable headache that awaited me.

Just as I was mentally preparing myself for that, Xavier barged into my room and plopped down on my bed. Seriously? Couldn't he at least have the courtesy to knock?

"Ever heard of knocking, Mr. Intruder?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"Nope," he replied casually, completely unfazed by his intrusion.

Called it. Typical Xavier behavior.

"What do you want?" I asked, my annoyance growing as I realized I was probably going to be late.

"Nothing," he said with a mischievous grin. "Just wanted to annoy you before school."

The audacity! I crossed my arms, glaring at him. "Well, go annoy someone else then," I retorted, giving him a gentle shove towards the door.

Xavier huffed, his playful grin turning into a mock pout. "Fine, fine. I'll go find another victim to torment," he said dramatically, pretending to be wounded by my words.

Today the cousins are coming with us too and I also made a plan to meet with the girls, Grey and Leo at the school gate.

***

"Hey guys!" I greeted them with a cheerful tone as I joined them at the school gate.

They all responded with smiles and hellos, except for Zoey. When I hugged her, she winced slightly, causing a pang of concern to shoot through me. I silently prayed that she wasn't going through any kind of abuse.

I made up my mind to talk to Zoey after classes. I couldn't bear the thought of her experiencing the same pain I had endured. I wanted to let her know that she didn't have to face it alone.

Surprisingly, despite our short time together, I had grown quite attached to these newfound them.

***

Our first class of the day was math, and honestly, who schedules math for the first period? I slouched into my seat at the back of the classroom, already feeling the boredom seeping in.

The devil, I mean our math teacher, began his monotonous lecture, and within 15 minutes, I was ready to stab myself with a pencil just to escape the torture. None of the girls were in this class, only Grey and Leo.

Grey glanced around the room and then slyly reached into his backpack. He pulled out a small, handheld air horn, a mischievous grin stretching across his face.

As the teacher droned on, we waited for the perfect moment. When there was a brief pause in his monologue, Grey seized the opportunity. He discreetly pressed the button on the air horn, releasing an ear-splitting blast that reverberated through the classroom.