Chapter 53 - Trust and Love

I remember when I first noticed that you liked me back

-K. by Cigarettes after Sex

"Alessa?" His voice was chilly

"Alessa?" His voice was chilly. "What are you doing here?"

I froze, my heart pounding in my chest. I turned slowly to find Ace standing there, his eyes locked onto mine. In that moment, time seemed to stand still.

"I thought you were at the store," I stammered, trying to hide the panic that was bubbling up inside me.

His gaze narrowed, and for a moment, I saw a flicker of suspicion in his eyes. "I forgot something," he replied, his tone still icy.

I swallowed hard, desperately searching for an excuse. "I...I was just looking for something to read. You know, to pass the time while you're out."

Ace's gaze didn't waver, and I could feel his scrutiny like a physical weight. "Hmm," was all he said, but his expression remained guarded.

I turned back to the shelves, pretending to browse for books, my heart still racing. That was close.

"You should rest though, After what happened...." His voice trailed off, and I could sense the concern in his tone. It was disconcerting, to say the least, to see this side of Ace, the one that seemed to care about my well-being.

"Yeah, I will," I replied, forcing a small smile. "Just thought I'd find something to occupy my mind."

He nodded, his gaze lingering on me for a moment longer before he turned and left the room. As the door closed behind him, I let out a sigh of relief.

I had to be more careful, more discreet. Ace couldn't find out what I was really up to. My plan to take him down and reclaim my life depended on it.

***

I was resting in the room scrolling through Wattpad reading this amazing romance story that I found when Ace suddenly burst into the room.

"Alessa, Alessa, Alessa," he repeated, his voice dripping with accusation. "Did you really think I wouldn't find out?"

I put my phone down, my heart racing.

"Oh, right, you found out? Great," I replied with biting sarcasm, my voice dripping with disdain. "So, can you finally drop the caring act?"

Ace's brow furrowed in confusion. "Caring act? What are you talking about?"

I let out a bitter laugh, my anger boiling over. "You gave me to them, Ace. You handed me over to those people. And now you come in here, acting like you care, like you saved me, and I'm just supposed to be grateful or what?"

His expression shifted from confusion to something I couldn't quite identify. "Alessa, I—"

"Get out," I spat, my voice trembling with anger and hurt. "Just get out."

"Alessa," he breathed, attempting to touch me, but I slapped his hand away. I met his gaze, my eyes hardening. 

"Get out of my room," my voice was cold.

"I would never, I swear to God—"

"And I'm just supposed to believe you? You said 'I have you right where I want you to be.' Maybe that was all part of your sick, twisted plan to give me to them," I accused, my eyes locked onto his, searching for any hint of remorse or truth.

"Alessa, you don't understand," he began, his voice pleading.

"I understand enough," I shot back, my anger boiling over. "You've played your games long enough, Ace. Get. Out."

He hesitated for a moment, "I just wanted you to know that I may have hated you then for leaving me, but I could never hurt the woman I love so much," he said quietly. 

"And I just came to drop off your books that you had forgotten, I'm sorry" 

And then with a defeated look on his face, he turned and left the room.

As I walked away from Alessa's room, a storm of emotions churned within me

As I walked away from Alessa's room, a storm of emotions churned within me. Her accusations echoed in my mind. Did she really think I would hand her over to those people like that?

I had expected her anger, her bitterness, but the way she had looked at me, accusing me of conspiring to hurt her, it stung. She had every right to be furious with me, but the thought that she believed I would willingly put her in harm's way cut deep.

I had spent the past weeks consumed by guilt and regret over what had happened to her, over the role I had played in it. I had gone to great lengths to find her, to bring her back, to make amends. But now, it seemed like my efforts had been in vain.

Love was a double-edged sword, and I had been careless with it. I had pushed her away, hurt her, and now I was dealing with the consequences. The woman I had loved, the woman I still loved, wanted nothing to do with me.

I had to accept that my actions had consequences, and that included losing her. But I couldn't stop trying to make things right. I owed it to Alessa, and I owed it to Nico.

I took a deep breath, I couldn't change the past, but I could shape the future. And I was determined to do whatever it took to earn back Alessa's trust and love, even if it seemed impossible.

----------------------------------------------------------

Short chapter but I wanted to give you guys an update (WE HAVE REACHED 110K ON TAINTED LOVE, I LOVE YOU'LL SM)

DID YOU ALL LIKE THE QUOTE IN THE BEGINING? I WANTED TO THAT

I wrote this so fast so if you saw any mistakes, You didn't

🖤💋