Chapter 48 - Monster like you

I walk in the familiar halls of the hallway

I walk in the familiar halls of the hallway. As I turned a corner, I caught sight of Ace in the middle of a phone conversation. Instinctively, I pressed myself against the wall, hidden by the doorframe, my heart pounding loudly in my chest.

"Yes, it's done," his voice, cold and calculated, reached my ears.

"No, Alessa doesn't suspect anything yet," he continued, his tone dripping with a sinister satisfaction. "She is right where we want her to be."

My mind raced, trying to process the implications of his words. What was he talking about? What had he done? A sinking feeling settled in my stomach, a sense of dread that I couldn't shake.

He turned to leave, his eyes widening in surprise as he noticed me standing there. There was a moment of tense silence, his gaze locked onto mine as if he could read the questions that swirled in my mind.

With a deep breath, I walked into the room, facing him squarely. My voice was steady, "Where is it that you want me exactly?"

His lips curled into a smirk, a glint of amusement dancing in his eyes. "Isn't it obvious, Alessa? Right here, where you belong."

"With you?" I retorted, a mix of disbelief and defiance coloring my tone. "Oh please, I'd rather gouge my own eyes out."

His smirk widened. "But my Alessa, we made a deal, remember? Wouldn't want Nico to know about his mommy and daddy's little secrets, right?"

"You wouldn't dare" I managed to choke out, desperately hoping that he was just trying to manipulate me.

He stepped closer, his gaze unwavering, and his smirk deepened. "Oh, wouldn't I? You see, Alessa, I have my ways of uncovering things. And if you think I won't use them to my advantage, you're sorely mistaken."

I clenched my fists, my nails digging into my palms. "What do you want from me?" My voice trembled.

He leaned in "I want you to suffer, just as I have. I want you to experience the pain, the helplessness, that you left me with."

I pushed him away, my eyes blazing with fury. "You're sick, Ace. You're twisted and cruel."

His laughter cut through the air like a knife. "Oh, Alessa, you have no idea. But don't worry, you'll find out soon enough."

"You're not the man I knew," I managed to say.

He pinned me against the wall, his face dangerously close to mine. The scent of his cologne, once comforting, now felt suffocating. "No, I'm not," he retorted, his tone dripping with a bitter amusement. "I've shed that naïve notion of love and goodness. Now, I'm the one who holds the power."

The venom in his words were enough to make my blood run cold, and I couldn't help but recall the times when his arms around me had been my safe space. Now, they felt like a prison.