Chapter 37 - Alive

5 years later
(I live for these)

I was engrossed in the matters of the mafia, my attention consumed

I was engrossed in the matters of the mafia, my attention consumed. The abrupt knock on my door shattered the silence, pulling my gaze away from my work.

"Enter," I commanded, my tone icy.

The door creaked open, revealing a man who stood before me, trembling like a leaf in the wind. 

Now that made me happy.

"What is it?" My voice cut through the air, sharp as a blade, my eyes assessing him with an unwavering scrutiny.

The man stuttered, struggling to say his message. I watched him impassively, my own irritation groing.

"Boss, I got something... important," he managed to force out.

"Out with it. I don't have time for this nonsense," I retorted with a growl, my patience wearing thin.

"Ms. Romanov, she's... she's alive," he uttered, the words hitting me like a shockwave, piercing through the control I typically held.

I surged forward, pinning him against the wall, my grip a tight "She's dead. She died five years ago. She's not coming back. You understand me?" My words were a venomous hiss, my gaze a chilling.

"Boss, there's proof. One of our guys spotted her entering a building," he stammered, his voice a desperate plea for my belief.

"Show me," I ordered, releasing him and returning to my seat, my heart racing.

I had warned him of the consequences — if this revelation was false, he would pay dearly.

He presented the evidence, pages that I dissected with a laser-like focus. A shred of hope flickered within me, and there she was, Alessa — my Les, my angel — captured in photographs and records, undeniable proof of her existence.

Alive.

The revelation jolted me, emotions swirling within. Elation, confusion, and beneath it all, a gnawing anger. Why hadn't she returned? To her brothers, to her family? To me?

Her family had been shattered by her dying. I had witnessed her brothers' pain, their lives full of a void only Alessa could fill. Mr. Romanov tried to kill himself once, his exact words being 'I should've stopped her, If I did, She would be alive. I don't deserve to live'

I contacted another trusted informant, extracting every piece of information about her. The revelation was astonishing — Alessa was now a CEO of a powerful tech company.

I mean this is Alessa we are talking about.

As I ordered preparations for my journey to Russia, a storm of emotions churned within me. I was determined to confront her, to find the truth behind her leaving, to demand an explanation for the pain she had inflicted.

One thing was certain — the woman I loved was alive

See you soon, Mi Amore.

Be prepared because this time I won't let go of you.

Ever.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I found myself sitting in my office, boredom slowly driving me to the brink of insanity

I found myself sitting in my office, boredom slowly driving me to the brink of insanity. The urge to bang my head against the wall was a tempting distraction. Well, at least it was better than sitting idly.

You know, totally normal things to do when you're bored

I glanced at the photograph sitting on my desk. It was a picture of Ace and me together — a moment of time when we were happy, genuinely happy. Our first date, frozen in a single frame. 

"Don't go there, Alessa," I whispered to myself, "It's been five years. He must have moved on by now."

A sigh escaped my lips. The truth was, I couldn't move on.

I had walked away from him, from them all, for their safety.

The Russian mafia was now under my control, other gangs retreating into shadows, unaware of the identity of their new leader. My "death" had given me the upper hand.

My train of thought was interrupted by the ringing of my phone. The caller ID brought an immediate smile to my face.

"Hi, baby," I greeted, my voice softening with affection.

"I miss you so much. Come home soon, please," The voice flowed through the line.

"Yes, baby. I'm coming home soon, okay?" I assured him, his puppy dog eyes vivid in my mind.

"Okay. I'll wait for you," he replied, his voice laced with longing.

"Okay, Nico. Don't drive Grey and Leo insane, and I love you," I chuckled.

"Okay, and I love you too, Mommy," he said before I ended the call.

Nicholas Alexander Romanov

or Hernandez. 

My son, my life. 

When I left, I was pregnant with Ace and my child — our child. Leo, Grey, Zoey, Lyla, and McKenzie knew the truth and supported me through the pregnancy.

Lyla and Grey's were now finally a couple and Leo and Zoey were engaged.

(For those of you who dont remember, McKenzie, Lyla and Zoey met in school and Leo and Greyson were Alessa's best friends)

As for McKenzie, she had a painful breakup with a certain individual who shall not be named — who I had a "talk" with and ensured he faced the consequences.

My Nico was a striking reflection of Ace. The resemblance was uncanny, a constant reminder of the man I had left behind. More than just looks, he possessed Ace's spirit, a little piece of him captured in our son.

I stood, ready to leave the office and return home. But as the door swung open, I found myself abruptly pinned against the wall.

I tried to shove my elbow in the intruder's face but they caught my arm, turned my back towards them and brushed their mouth against the shell of my ear.

"No need to be so violent my love," I stilled. No, It couldn't be

"Ace," I breathed, my voice a full of disbelief.

He turned me around, grinned and gently brushed a stand of hair off my face. "Hello, Mi Amore"

-------------------------------------------------------------

My exams are going to start soon and my head is filled with books.

If I flunk (Which I will, no doubt) , My parents will unalive me. 

I am currently reading the court of wings and ruin. Which book are you all reading?

Till next time bitches 😉

🖤💋

'