Chapter 38 - Always be mine

He turned me around, his grin both charming and unsettling, and gently brushed a stand of hair off my face

He turned me around, his grin both charming and unsettling, and gently brushed a stand of hair off my face. "Hello, Mi Amore."

For a moment, I stood there, frozen. It was as if time had stopped and everything else around us faded away.

"I thought I'd never see you again," I admitted, my voice tinged with both vulnerability and resentment. "And if I did, I thought you would have killed me."

He held my gaze. There was a flicker of something – regret, perhaps – that crossed his features before he masked it with his signature cold facade.

"I did think about it," he confessed "But then I realized that finding you and making your life a living hell would be so much better."

His thumb absentmindedly brushed against my cheek, a gesture that used to be so intimate and comforting. But now, it was laced with a sadistic edge.

The words hit me like a punch to the gut, a reminder of the man he had become. The man who had once been my everything was now someone I could barely recognize.

"You won't escape this time," he whispered, his lips dangerously close to mine. "You can't run from the devil himself."

And he leaned down and kissed me. Instinctively, I grabbed his hair and kissed him back, memories of our past rushing back in, until I realized how wrong this was. I pulled away, breathless.

"W-we shouldn't," I stammered, my voice barely audible.

He looked at me, his eyes dark and intense. "And why not?" His voice was a low growl.

"You never denied me before," he continued, his tone dripping with a twisted sense of possessiveness. "Do you have a boyfriend? Is that it, hmm?"

 "So what if I do? You're not my boyfriend anymore," I shot back

My heart pounded in my chest, my words were a reminder of our shattered past.

"Your heart seems to be saying something different," he retorted, a mocking smirk playing on his lips. "I can practically hear it racing."

I clenched my fists, frustrated "You know nothing about my heart."

He stepped closer, his gaze intense. "I used to."

I met his gaze head-on, refusing to back down. "Well, things change. People change."

He leaned in, his breath tickling my ear, sending shivers down my spine. "Some things never change, Alessa."

"I may not be your boyfriend anymore, Alessa," he murmured, his voice a low, dangerous whisper, "but you will always be mine."

"Dream on"

A sly smile played on his lips, a glint of challenge in his eyes. "Is that the only thing you think I dream of, Alessa?"

My heart skipped a beat, his words hitting me harder than I cared to admit. "You're a fool if you think I'd fall for your games again," I retorted, my attempt at sounding strong wavering slightly.

He took a step closer, his proximity sending a jolt through me. "Trust me, Alessa, there's a lot more of what I dream of"

I refused to let his words affect me. "Goodbye, Ace," I said, my voice steady as I turned and walked away.

His voice stopped me in my tracks,  "You are coming back at the mafia ball."

I turned around to face him, my expression defiant. "No," I said firmly, my tone leaving no room for negotiation. "You can't make me."

He stepped closer. "Can't I?" he said, flashing me a lazy smile, his voice softer this time, yet no less menacing.

And then he continued, his words striking a chord that cut through my defenses. "If you don't come, I'll tell everyone you're alive. I'll expose the leader of the Russian mafia."

My eyes widened in shock. The threat hung in the air, and I realized that he held a power over me that I couldn't easily escape.

I clenched my fists, frustration and anger boiling within me. "You wouldn't," I hissed through gritted teeth.

His charming grin persisted. "Try me."

"Fine," I gritted out , his satisfaction was visible as he smirked at me.

"Good choice, love," he purred, his voice like a taunt. His lips brushed against my neck in a fleeting kiss, sending goosebumps in my body, before he turned and walked away.

"See you at the ball, darling," he called over his shoulder.

"Asshole," I muttered under my breath.

***

"He did what?" Leo's voice boomed, his astonishment echoing through the room.

"She just told you, dumbass," Zoey retorted, giving him a smack on the back of his head.

"What the hell, woman," Leo growled at her in a playful manner.

"What?" Zoey asked with feigned innocence.

"Oh, you little—" Leo began to say, but Zoey cut him off by pressing her lips against his.

Their affection was interrupted by my voice, bringing their attention back to the matter at hand. "Okay, okay, we get it, you love her," I said, chuckling as Leo shot me a mock glare.

"So what now?" Zoey turned her attention to me, and I leaned in between her and Leo, finding a comfortable spot.

Leo's a lucky guy

"I guess I have to go to the ball, unless I want him to come here and make a whole scene," I said with a sigh.

"I'll always support you, okay?" Leo's assurance was accompanied by a warm hug.

"Mhm, I know," I hummed in agreement.

"Mama," a sweet voice chimed in, and a small figure settled onto my lap.

"Hey, baby, I missed you so much," I cooed, showering my little one with kisses that elicited giggles from him.

Awww

I thinky heart melted.

"Mama, no one troubled you, right? 'Cause if they did, I would have to beat them up," my son's  was a perfect imitation of his father's, complete with the casual knuckle-cracking gesture.

Truly his father's son

I was determined to give him the choice, never wanting to impose the dangers of my world on him. He had to decide if he wanted to lead or not.

"No, baby, no one did. Don't worry," I reassured him with a laugh.

Except your dad came to my office, pinned me up against the wall, kissed me and forced me to come back.

"Okay, good. Mama, can you put me to bed, please?" he asked, his voice innocent as he looked up with those big doe eyes,

"Of course, baby. You don't have to ask," I replied, lifting him up in my arms.

I tucked him into bed, and he kissed my forehead, his affection warming my heart.

I lingered by his bedside, gazing at him. "I really hope your father doesn't get angry when he finds out, sweetheart," I admitted softly, giving him one last kiss on the forehead before I lay down beside him.

I closed my eyes and let sleep claim us both.

-------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you who don't know, there is a book about Nico. It's called dancing with the devil. Do check it out.

Thoughts?

Till next time bitches 😉

🖤💋