Letter

Secrets die when kept or revealed - Mason Cooley.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ava Anderson

"I don't care about you being in the mafia, all that matters is that you are my friend" I stated reaching out of wipe the stray tear that had managed to slip from his eye.

"I thought-"

"Shut up. Like I was saying, because I'm a religious person does not mean I won't make you my friend" I said emphasizing on the religious and friend. I took a gulp of water out of the glass.

"Your bible said something about not staying with unbelievers" He replied looking so confused. I took his hand in mine as a former of Assurance that I sill always be here for him no matter what.

"You are my friend Marco and before I made you one, I prayed about it" I stated squeezing the life out of his hand.

His face lit up as his saddened expression was replaced with a smile, one that was so beautiful. The room became silent thereafter as we both did not know what to say.

I took my hand out of his and rested my elbow on the kitchen island trying to gather my thought while preparing for the next question I should as him.

"Are you hiding anything other thing from me?" My eyes were narrowed as I asked the question. I bent my head to the left in such an angle that whatever expression passes through his face, it won't be left unseen.

"Yes but one of them is not in my place to tell. My brother will do that" He looked up at the ceiling while he spoke, I figured out he was trying to prevent the tears from falling off.

"Who is your brother?" I asked. I had a feeling that the answer was not what I was expecting.

"The guy who brought you here" He looked back at me, this time around he was watching get to see my expression.

Slowly, he stood up from the stool moving it backwards. It was like he knew that my next mission was to slap sense into his head.

"Wow" That was what I managed to say. If I tell you I was in a state of shock, it would be an understatement.

"Did you or did you not know about Laura's death?" I asked. I got down from the stool.

"No"

"What makes you thing I believe that"

A look a hurt flashed across his face but it was gone before I could blink.

"The fact that I'm in the mafia does not mean we kill people without legitimate reasons. We investigated the girl's death but the person who killed her was dead before we got to him. The time that my brother came to your house, I never knew that he knows you. All I wanted was to protect you and not involve you in this drama, Ava"

In all the months I has known Marco, that was the longest sentence he has said to me without getting interrupted.

I nodded in response.

"What is the other thing?"

"Zoe was attacked but my brother's men got to her in time"

I scrambled over to him "How is she?"

"Fine, te doctor said she might get concussion but she'll recover. I can take you to her" He ruffled his short hair. It was then I noticed the black bag beneath his eyes, it was probably due to lack of sleep or stress.

"I'm hungry" I stated dropping my head beside me.

He chuckled before getting off the knew. Before I could say anything he pulled me into an hug, patting my head like I was that dog that almost killed me outside.