Distraction

Lorenzo Romano

We were still sitted in the car, Dante had refused to go into the restaurant with me no matter how much I tried convincing him, his mind was made up. Not even all my chocolates coukd get him to agree, I sighed in defeat before handing him a walkie-talkie.

"If you suspect anything out here, alert me" I stated. He hummed in response plugging it in.

"Be careful, I don't plan on handling any funeral for now" He replied. I rolled my eyes at his childish behaviour which he used to cover up so as not to let me know he was worried.

"As for you, get some sense" I chuckled before getting out of the car. I checked the surrounding making sure my men were in place before walking into the restaurant. The restaurant were deserted with a women who was dozing off the counter, I climbed up the stairs without her noticing.

Her long sleek hair which we inherited from her was what I saw first. Her back was to me, her husband being the only one that could see me was focused on the menu. I walked closer, dragging a chair along. Their faces jerked up in shock, a low gasp escaped my mother's lips.

"S-son, what are you doing here?" She stuttered, visibly nervous. I sat down comfortably before collecting the menu from her husband. I ordered the most expensive wine they had since they were previously drinking water, wine was a much better option.

"I should be asking the same question, what are you both doing here?" I asked directing the question to her husband, Mr Santino. He reached out for her hand which was shaking onmthe table, rubbing his thumb over her fingers.

"As you can see, we were having dinner. You must be my wife's son, nice meeting you" He stretched forth his hand, I took it in a firm grip as we both stared down at each other.  I stared at the man looking for whatever secret he and my mother were keeping. My private investigator didn't get much on him, from the papers and media, he had a shipping company, lived comfortably with an unknown wife which turned out to my mother, had two kids; my sister and an adopted son.

He was known to be a clean man but I had the feeling in my gut never to trust him.

"Can't say the same" I replied. My mother cleared her throat before separating our hands. I watched as my mother sipped her glass of wine, she had really changed.

The mother I knew years ago would always reject drinking wines with an excuse of water being more healthy.

"Lorenzo-" Santino started.

"Mr Romano" I interrupted, narrowing my eyes at him. Only families and the people I give my trust were permitted to call me by my first name, I didn't need him callinh me that to avoid any form of familiarity.

He was taken aback by my outburst, my mother included "Mr Romano like I said before, I was having a nice dinner with my wife before you came. If you have nothing to do, you might as well excuse us" He said trying to get back at me, the way he called her his wife aggravated me, I felt this hint of jealousy.

"She was my mother before she became your wife" I stated as a matter of facts. My mother refused to look into my eyes instead she held unto his hands. I was glad Dante had refused to come in, he would have made a stupid joke or found the situation funny.

"Mother, do you want me to leave?" I questioned. If she said yes, I would leave without turning back. I was hoping she would say no so at least, I would have answers to my questions.

She looked up at me "N-no" She answered. I nodded pouring more wine into my glass, they were both waiting for my next action which showed by the way they watched my every move.

My mother was still nervous, it was obvious she was scared being in my presence. A lot had changed, she has changed. I had changed.

I was not the same Lorenzo she knew years ago,  I had changed. I was someone who doesn't need her comfort anymore, who doesn't need her shoulders to lean upon, I was a much better person. A much better man.