Fear

Lorenzo Romano

Last night

The documents in my office were too much to go through so I took a break. The hallway was dark when I left the office as everyone had retired to their rooms for the night except me.

The sound of continuous sneezing drew my attention, the only room that was in this part of the house was hers. Curiosity got the better of me, I decided to check out her room.

The door was closed from the inside but unluckily for her, I have the key to every door in the house. There was a probability she was still awake though it was midnight and I don't want to look like a creep walking in on her.

I knocked.

The other side of the room was quiet, there was no sign of movement or footsteps drawing closer. I pulled out the bunch of keys from my pocket and opened her door.

The cold air was the first thing that hit me once I got in. I switched on the lights allocated to the chandelier.

The curtains and window were opened which was the cause of her sneezing. I shut the window and pulled down the curtains.

I turned around hearing murmurs coming from her. Quietly walking over to the side, I crouched down to get a better view of when she's sleeping.

I'm never going to admit it but she looks so cute when asleep. Her fore head was covered in sweat in contract to the temperature of the room. I pressed the back of my hand against her head, her body was hot, she was definitely getting sick. I covered her body with the duvet leaving only her face in sight.

Her beautiful face.

It was now I was seeing how beautiful she looked, even while asleep. Her lips were pouted as she let out some words from her dream.

As if sensing attention on her, she rolled away cuddling a pillow and pressing her face into it. This girl is creepy.

And I thought I was the only one.

I got up from my crouched position, glancing round the room as I took in every detail, the bible on the night stand got my attention, it belonged to my mother. That was the same bible she always read to us every night before she died.

Marco got the room all cleared out when she died, keeping her things in here were bringing sad memories. He once told me that he had left her bible in there for future use, that I understand now.

Ava is a Christian according to Marco, a dedicated one at that. I was never planning to get in her way but I know the marriage is going to do that. She was probably one of those princess who dreams of having a perfect marriage. How she was going to meet her prince charming who would sweep her off her feet with his actions and words.

I'm not a prince but one sure thing is that I'm charming.

My father must have been drunk when he agreed to this. Imagine a mafia man who had killed a lot of people married to a Christian girl whose mission is to save souls?

It's either I was going to destroy her or she was going to pull me into her Web. This is going to be a complicated and twisted marriage, one I never planned for.

I never even planned to get married. Marrying her would make her my weakness and a major target for all my enemies out there, that is what I hate.

Life has way of playing cards the way it desires and it was giving me the wrong cards.

I left her room, closing the door behind me. I was also exhausted when I got to my wing in the house. It was separated from the other rooms as I love my privacy.

It was like a penthouse since it had it own kitchen, dining and everything that can be found in a normal house. The dining is the only place I never used because Nonna always insists we eat together as a family.

I need a long shower after the stressful day I just had. It was not easy kidnapping, more like rescuing her in the airport. The only advantage I had was that Marco does business with the owners of the airport.

To think if I had gotten there five minute later, she would have been kidnapped. It was through her calls that I knew something was wrong. Her parents were in dubai on a shopping spree the last time I checked so it was impossible to get such call.

The person that had attacked her must have been watching her for long, for him to be waiting for her in the airport. The only thing I could use to identify him was that same snake tattoo.

Whosoever wants to hurt Ava is still lurking out there in the shadows, seeking the perfect opportunity to attack.

That is never going to happen, not on my watch.

Ava Anderson

Present

"Who is getting married?" I asked Marco, Dante entered the room grinning hard at Marco who was staring at his nails like they were the most beautiful thing he has ever seen.

"Soon you'll know" Marco said shrugging his shoulders. Dante sat in between us pretending that the couch was not enough for his huge figure, he started watching the frozen movie with so much enthusiasm.

"In that case I'll go prepare for the day" I got up nodding at them both before walking up the stairs. The hallway leading to my room was lightened unlike when I went down.

Once I got to my room, I did my business in the bathroom and got out as quick as possible. There were only few clothes left in the closer, that puppy shredded majority of my clothes. How can a cute puppy be that aggressive?

I wore an high way jeans with a shirt twice my size.

There is alot of things I plan to do today. One, Marco is going to take me to the hiden hospital where Zoe is receiving treatment whether he likes it or not. I don't trust anyone here and the fact that my friend is being treated by one of their doctors is scary.

What if she is given te wrong dosage? What if Mr Sniper has given them instructions to kill her slowly? A lot of ' what ifs' ran through my mind.

What if I don't come out of this place alive? If that Mr Sniper were to kill me, he would probably frame my death in such a way that the police would believe it was an accident.

The second thing I plan on doing today was to go shopping since their cute puppy gave me a welcome greeting by shredding most of the clothes.

"Lord, please don't let that puppy get in my way again. Save me from Mr Sniper and his stoic face, fill him with your everlasting joy that stay in his hear forever. Also, please let Dante start acting mature around me" I whispered prayed.

I went out of my room making sure to lock the door with the key Marco gave me. The knowledge of Mr Sniper sneaking into the room while I was asleep was sitting well with me even though he only came to help.

Curiosity got the better of me as I got to the stairs. Instead of going downstairs, my legs carried me upstairs to where I don't know. A voice was still me to go down but I refused to listen.

The upper floor was brightened up. At the hallway I pushed the large metallic door open, there were three other hallway leading to different directions. I walked further in checking the place out but stopped at the sound of a door opening.

I turned back around wanting to finally listen to the voice but the light in the place all switched off automatically, the door leading here began closing.

I screamed dashing for the door.

My fists banged on it screaming for help. My breathing began to pick up as my heart kept on beating against my ribs. Images began to swim around me due to the fear of being in confined spaces, my legs trembled almost crumbling to the floor as my voice reduced to mere whispers.

"Ava?" That was the last I heard before I felt someone hand against mine.

Please pick out the grammatical errors.

Enjoy your day and God bless you!

1437 words.