Love

Ava Romano

I snuggled closer to the warmth pressing myself into the body. Slowly, I peeked my eyes opened to see where I was being taken to since I was floating in the air. Enzo was carrying me as he stepped out of the elevator, a young blonde man followed behind him speaking a foreign language which was not Italian. It sounded more like Spanish.

"Why are you carrying me?" I croaked our removing my arms from around his neck. Two pairs of eyes looked down on me, one watching with amusement and the other with fear. I got down from his arms stumbling backwards as a result of dropping on my sole.

Enzo arms darted put pulling me back in, the man behind him dropped his gaze when I tried to meet his eyes.

"You were asleep" Enzo answered as we came to a door. It had an electric lock which required some sort of pin, Enzo blocked the view of the man, I was confused as to why he allowed me to see the pin.

1305, an odd pin.

"You should have woken me, I would be embarrassed to go down there after knowing a lot of people saw us" I grunted stepping into the apartment.

"Sorry" He muttered.

The penthouse was lighted up after he pressed a botton, we were literally on the last floor because I could see the tops of other buildings.

"Limpia el apartamento pronto, no quiero que se enferme" Enzo said to the man in the same language, he replied with head still bowed. (Get the apartment cleaned soon, i don't want her falling ill).

His hands which were behind his back were shaking, he was obviously afraid of my intimidating husband who towered over him.

"Hi, I'm Ava. What's your name?" I asked stretching my hand forward for a shake. His eyes darted to my nose in confusion, I repeated my words in case he didn't hear me the first time.

Enzo deep laughter echoed through the room, I watched silently until he had satisfied himself. He took my hand which was still stretched our before glaring at the young man.

"He doesn't understand English, most of the people who work for me personally outside italy are locals. Some aren't educated" He chuckled before dismissing the man who all but ran out.

"You scared the poor guy. Why don't you employenglish speakers?" I asked walking back to the windows, I pulled it opened letting some air into the stuffy place.

"The police here are too nosey. They often asked questions and if they know my workers are locals who can't speak english, they would return back empty to their stations" He answered coming to assist me in arranging some books that were scattered onmthe floor near a sofa.

"Maybe if you are involved in only legal businesses, they won't be on your tail" I mumbled hoping he didn't hear. His body tensed beside me as an indication he heard loud and clear.

"Ava" He started "The mafia is not something I can just destroy or let go of in one day, I've been trying"

I looked up at him slowly to find him already staring '' I'm sorry I said that, I was scared'' I packed up the books and went over to drop it on a nearby table. I jumped up in fright seeing Lorenzo who was standing behind me, his grey eyes staring deeply into mine.

I looked down at his shoe feeling nervous suddenly, the way he stared at me was sending butterflies flying in my belly.

He lifted my reaching as his breath fanned my face "Tell me, what you are afraid of?'' He questioned, more like making a demand. I made to move out of his hold but as if he read my mind, his other hand wounded around my waist.