Mother

Lorenzo Romano

"Mum?" I called stepping forward to be sure I was seeing the right thing. Ava held unto my arm tightly as we both stared at the person I thought had died a long time ago. Ava looked up at me silently demanding an explanation, I wished there was something I could have said to her but I was also confused.

My feel remained at the entrance of the hallway with Marco standing in front, no wonder he looked so pale unlike the last time I saw him which was yesterday.

"Lorenzo" The ghost of my mother stood up from the sofa she was sitted on, my eyes darted to the young teenager behind her which I assumed was my sister.

"Wait, stop right there" I snapped, my mother stopped moving and instead stared at at her feet.

"Can someone explain what is happening here?, I saw you both die" I'm yelled out, my hands unconsciously moved Ava so she was behind me. If I was seeing two ghosts then I want to be the only crazy one, not her.

"That was the same thing I  said when I saw them both this morning. She probably framed her death" Marco spoke with an harsh tone I had never heard him use on anyone except our father.

He made to move forward, my hands shot forward pulling him behind me. He was not going to do something he would later on regret.

"Explain" I said calmly to grandmother who was quietly sitted with George standing behind her. She raised her head, her face void of any emotion.

"My son-" My mother spoke barely above a whisper.

"I'm not your son" I shouted, the young girl who imassumed was my long dead sister flinched before hiding behind mother's back.

"You have ten minutes to explain all this rubbish or we are all leaving" I breathed out trying to contain my anger. I so much needed to punch something, just anything. As if sensing my thoughts, Ava clutched my arm as she came forward.

"Here what she has to say, I'll be waiting in our room" She whispered getting on her toe to kiss my cheeks, I still had to bend slightly before she reached me, I heaved out a breath I never knew I was holding.

"No, I need you here" I pleaded before pulling her for an hug inhaling the violet scent of her hair, this was nerve soothing.

I released turning to my mother and sister who were watching everything silently. As we both walked over to a sofa, I made sure my arm touched that of my mother. She was real, this was real.

"I'll explain" Grandmother spoke raising her head. Here I was thinking she wanted to meet and get to know Ava, if only I knew what she got up her sleeves, I would have never thought of visiting.

"The night your father tried killed your mother and sister, she was rescued by a good samaritan, it was only the car that exploded. If you can remember, your mother was brutally beaten which left her with a loss of memory. The doctors only managed to save her live by placing her on oxygen" grandmother said, a tear slipped off which she quickly wiped.

This was the first time I had ever seen her cry, she didn't shed any tear even during her husband, my grandfather, burial shortly after my faked mother's death.

"As you know, your grandfather had cancer at the time and we all knew he was going to die in the end even with all the therapy he want through. H-he" She paused trying to control the amount of tears that were falling.

I knew my grandfather death hit her hard. They weren't a romantic couple but I knew she loved him so much. I wondered what she was trying to say so spoke pushing her.

"He what?" I asked when she refused to speak. Ava nudged her elbows in my ribs, she seemed to be the only one that understood the situation.

Marco stood arms crossed closed to the hallway listening, I was trying to read his emotion which was vague. Dante on the other hand was bored out of his mind, he was typing away on his phone probably chatting with Alice.