013

It was Thursday, and Julia still hadn't told Steve that he was going to be a father.

It wasn't the easiest topic to bring up. Besides, she wasn't making it easier for herself; she was also avoiding him, ignoring him during class walking the long way to her classes so she wouldn't bump into him.

Every time she saw him, she would freeze remembering that night, and in a weird way, she felt guilty; she didn't want to ruin his life.

He was in love with Nancy, and now he was expecting a child with another person.

She couldn't ask him to drop all of his dreams and aspirations to be with her. She didn't want to be the reason why Steve would be miserable in life.

"You need to tell him," Kim whispered, leaning closer to her. They were eating and sitting next to each other in the cafeteria.

Julia ate a fry while she glanced to where Steve was sitting on the other side of the cafeteria.

He had a frown on his face as he looked down at his plate. Other boys were sitting at the same table as him, but he didn't add anything to the conversation.

Steve felt like someone was watching him. He looked up from his plate and looked around; everyone was in their own conversation. People were laughing with their own group of friends.

A guy he couldn't remember the name of was sitting on top of the table and moving his hands around as he talked about something.

Nancy and Jonathan were sitting together, and she was smiling at something he said. Steve smiled sadly at them.

He continued to look around until he found who was looking at him. Julia froze when she realized Steve was looking back at her.

He smiled at her a little brighter once he saw her, and he waved at her, but Julia looked down quickly, avoiding making eye contact with him again.

Steve furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. He didn't know her very well, he wanted to know her, but she was making it hard.

It wasn't the first time she looked the other way. Her ignoring him like that was affecting him more than he wanted to admit it, first Nancy and now Julia.

Was it so hard for him to have a friend?

That's all he wanted, someone who he could talk to, hang out with, and laugh with. It seemed he would need to look a little harder for that.

Maybe he needed to do something about it, or maybe without even realizing he did something to her.

A frown appeared on his face as he thought about what he could have done.

The last time he talked to her was when she fainted last week. Could he have done something to upset her? He thought about it and couldn't think of anything he had done.

To resolve the mystery, he had to go to the source and see why she was ignoring him.

She didn't want to talk to him in school, which left him with no other option than to drive to her house and talk to her.

What was she going to do? Run away. "What if she doesn't open the door," he said to himself as his knuckles hit the door.

He took a step back, waiting for her to get the door. No one answered the door; he waited for a few more seconds, then he was going to knock again when the door opened.

"Oh, hey Julia," Steve said kindly as Julia's eyes widened.

Julia looked around, alarmed; she then got out of the house, closing the door behind her.