054

To keep an eye on Max, the whole group stayed at Nancy's place.

It was the first time for Melody to sleep for a long period of time in a place that wasn't her crib or her parents bed. Julia thought she would struggle with Melody falling asleep, but her daughter was exhausted after what happened to Max.

The group had decided to take turns in watching Max. Julia slept on the sofa with Melody on her chest. Steve was on the floor sleeping next to his two girls.

Julia woke up the next morning early. She didn't need an alarm anymore. Since having Melody, she couldn't sleep past 9 am anymore.

While she was feeding Melody, Max woke up. "I need some fresh air," Max said quietly.

It was too much for her. She had all eyes on her through the night; she could barely sleep. She just wanted to be alone for a few minutes.

"Don't go too far," Julia said. Max thought Julia would say something and not let her leave the basement. She was ready to protest, but instead she said, "I won't." Julia watched Max leave the basement.

Julia then changed the dirty diaper and put Melody in a yellow romper with a big daisy in the center. "Do you want one yellow bow or two bows," Julia asked her sleepy daughter.

Melody yawned and rubbed her eyes. "Let's go with two," she answered herself.

While Melody was still down on the floor, Julia divided her hair in the middle. She then with her fingers, brushed Melody's hair back and did two small pigtails. In each pigtail, she added a small yellow bow.

"You look beautiful," she said and kissed her daughter's cheek.

Julia lifted her daughter from the floor, and got a better look at her hair and realized one of the pigtails was higher than the other. Julia sighed; she was going to redo it when something caught her attention.

"Hey, Dustin, this is Eddie the Banished. Are you there? Dustin, can you hear me? Dustin? Earth to Dustin."

Julia picked up the walkie-talkie, brought it close to her face, and said, "It's Julia. Dustin is sleeping right now." 

Eddie didn't respond, instead; Julia was greeted with static.

"Eddie, are you okay," she asked after not hearing from him. "Julia! Hey. Yes, I'm fine. Well, actually, Um, I'm gonna need a food delivery, like, really soon."

She had forgotten so much was going on with Max. "Sorry, we will buy you food."

Nancy had woken up, and she had woken up Dustin too.

Melody had woken up a little bit better and realized she was wearing bows on her head. It felt heavier and strange. She began to pull it.

Julia was going to pass the walkie-talkie to Dustin since he was up, but Dustin and Nancy left the basement. 

"Also, listen, um... can you pick me up a six-pack? I know, it's stupid as shit, drinking right now, but a cold beer would really calm my jangled nerves."

"No, don't do that," she told her daughter as Melody took out her left bow. Her nicely done pigtail was destroyed, and her bow was on the floor.

"I'm not doing anything," Eddie responded confused.

"Sorry not you. I'm talking with Melody." Eddie didn't know who Melody was, but from context clues, he guessed it was Julia's daughter.

"We will be there as soon as we can, and Eddie be careful," Julia whispered the last part.

Melody looked at her mother curiously, her head was a little bit to the side. Her messed-up pigtail fell on her face. After a few seconds, Eddie responded and said, "I will."

Julia placed the walkie-talkie pack on the table at the same time Nancy and Dustin barged in.

Melody grabbed Julia's hair and gently pulled it. Julia's light brown hair tangled between Melody's fingers. "Mellow, don't do that." Julia got a hold of Melody's small hand, trying to free her hair from her fist. It didn't matter that she was only eight months old; she was strong for her age. 

Nancy clapped, making Steve and Melody flinch. Melody let go of Julia's hair. Julia moved her hair back away from Melody's reach.

Robin fell off the sofa "what, I'm up," she said sleepily.

Steve woke up quickly and scanned the room for Melody and Julia, thinking they were in danger, seeing that they were fine, he asked, "what's going on."

Robin held the side of her head with her hand and looked up at Nancy.

"We are going to Victor's Creel house."

◦ ◦ ◦

The house was old and abandoned; a few windows of the second floor were broken. The grass around the house was dead. White parts of the house looked gray.

Julia wouldn't be surprised if the house turned out to be haunted. Steve got Melody out of the car seat.

Julia had fixed the pigtails but got rid of the bows. Melody had a fight with her bows earlier on the car ride, and to not have her sobbing the whole ride, Julia decided not to put them back on.

They walked up the steps to the front of the house. Steve put his hands on Melody's ears. "What exactly are we supposed to be looking for in this shithole," Steve asked. He moved his hands from her ears after he cursed.

"We know this house is important to Vecna. Maybe there's a clue in here," Nancy responded.

Max had drawn what she saw the day before and folding all the pieces of paper and connecting them like a puzzle created Victor's house.

"Because Max saw it in Vecna's red soup mind world," Steve asked. "Uh, basically."

"Maybe it holds a clue to where Vecna is. Why is he back? Why did he kill the Creels? And how to stop him before he comes back for Max," Dustin said.

"We don't think he's in here, do we," Lucas asked slowly from the back of the group. "Guess we'll find out," Max responded, standing next to him.

Steve tried to open the door, but it was locked. "Should I knock, see if anybody's home?"

"No need," Robin said, looking at the brick she had in hand. "I found a key," Robin said, looking at the group, proud of herself.

"Everyone move back," Julia said as Robin threw the brick at the stained-glass window.

Steve moved back and covered Melody's face as little pieces from the broken glass fell on the floor.

Before Steve went in first, he passed Melody to Julia, wanting to have both of his hands free to protect his family and the kids.

Melody was on the baby carrier in front of Julia's chest.

Steve didn't know what they were going to find inside the house. "Should Mellow be here," Steve wondered, asking Julia leaning close to her.

Melody beamed, watching her father close to her. She moved her hand on his chest, hitting him like drums. Steve held her tiny hands in his big hands and kissed her knuckles. He wanted her to be safe and away from Vecna and all danger in the world.

No one should be at Victors house. Julia knew that, but it was crucial to finding out anything that could help Max.

"There's no one that can take care of her. We are the babysitters, remember." She lightly bumped his shoulder.

In Melody's short life she had never been away from her parents. One was always with her at all times. The girl was comfortable with her parents, and there was no one else in the world she felt safe with.

There was no one else the young mother could trust to take care of Melody. Unless things go completely wrong, Melody would be with them at all times. Julia kissed the top of Melody's head.

"Stay close by," Steve whispered and kissed Julia's head.

The door screeched when they opened it.